Shipping year round?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by codyrhodes, Jan 17, 2011.

1. codyrhodes

codyrhodes Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2011
    Gresham
    I was wondering if there is any place i can order baby chicks that will ship to me year round because most places i find only ship in febuary

2. dolly85

dolly85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    Call IDEAL Poultry as they are shipping now. In fact, I think today was a hatch date and they normally have extras.

3. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    The reason most don't ship this time of year is for the safety of the chicks. There is too much of a risk of the chicks getting cold while on a mail truck, stopped for hours in a post office, or left on your doorstep waiting for you to return home from work. Ideal is located in TX so it is warmer there, but if you are in a cold destination there is still a risk IMO. The other factor to keep in mind is that if you get them this time of year, they will be old enough to go outside well before it is warm enough for them to cope in many parts of the country, so you would need to keep them inside a lot longer. I understand the eagerness of feeling ready to get started but if you can wait until Spring the experience may be more satisfactory.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I agree 110%!
    You have two choices. Get chicks now, they may or may not all make it. They will likely be stressed from being shipped in the cold. Even Ideal Hatchery, that I love and highly recommend, would have to include packing peanuts (males added for warmth).
    Or choice #2, curb your excitement and impatience and get chicks in the spring. They'll likely all arrive safely and strong, ready to start life.
    To help while you're waiting for your chicks to arrive you can order now or as soon as the hatchery starts taking order. This will guarantee you the best selection. Just ask for a shipping date in the spring.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  5. codyrhodes

codyrhodes Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2011
    Gresham
    I ordered from ideal and i looked on their web site and they garantee that all of the chicks will be alive when they get here and i did get a call from them after saying that they where putting some extra males in there for added warmth

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by