shipping

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chickielady, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Chickielady

Chickielady Spiritwood Farms Premium Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Raymond, WA
    My Coop
    A newbie has asked me over the thread, how she is to ship eggs never having done so before.
    So I attenpted to describe how they should be collected, and kept cool, and rotated during collection period, and when to ship, and different ways to pad/pack and different ways to ship such as priority mail, overnight, etc.
    I think it may be advantageous to newbies (and maybe have cool ideas all of us can learn from) if we had a thread just on shipping hatching eggs, and another on shipping chicks, and finally one on how best to ship adult poultry.
    Anyone think so too ?

2. Chickielady

Mar 10, 2010
    Raymond, WA
    My Coop
    In fact, this may need to be posted all by itself or maybe down by the eggs/chicks/etc for sale ?

3. Hi! In the *Sticky: Incubating & Hatching Eggs Important Topic Index - Please Review* (at the top of this page),
    you will find this thread:
    How To Ship Eggs.
    There are several methods listed there.
    Good luck!
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

4. Chickielady

Mar 10, 2010
    Raymond, WA
    My Coop
    well then we do not need this new thread !
    Thanks !

5. Chickielady

Mar 10, 2010
    Raymond, WA
    My Coop
    OK, I have looked at most of the links on the sticky recommended and alot are no longer good links, and the ones I did read are good but lack the detail of actual shipping, and that was what my newbie friend was asking, what is the best way to package and ship.
    So if anyone has favorite ways of wrapping and padding eggs, positioning in the box, what kind of box, what size in relation to the amount of eggs, and what types of padding can be used.
    Also the myth or truth to white shavings dampened by spritz bottle for waterfowl eggs ?
    And then there was alot of questions concerning FedEx, UPS or US Post Office shipping ?
    Which seems to be the best in handling eggs ?
    And what is better...overnight, same day or priority ?
    And also have herad so many rumores about X-rays when shippping, as the shipping Co will not take a box on a plane unless it is X rayed and that these X rays can kill or cause deformities to embryos....and what about altitude bursting air cells > as far as we know eggs go in the cargo portion of airplanes and most are not pressurized, and eggs can be damaged badly by lack of air pressure at 10,000 feet.
    So, any input or facts would be greatly appreciated here.
    So maybe posters can contribute ?
    I like big bubble wrap, but often have received eggs shipped in bubble wrap that were so tightlt wrapped that I doubt if any fresh air or humidity could have gotten to the egg, does that harm the embryo ?
    No fresh air for up to a week ?
    I think I want to steer away from plastic in the future, and get back to excelsior and white shavings, alot of padding and air and moisture...and both have good insulating qualities...how do you feel about that: plastic versus organic ?
    And now we have the awesome rubber foam shipping 'boxes' made by fowlsrus that I think are excellent !
    Have you all seen them ?
    But then I wonder about chemical vapors coming from foam rubbers...hmmm, so would love some input on these subjects~

6. Hi! It's always nice to talk about (wistfully, as hardly any of my birds are laying). There is someone here offering 'foam shippers' if you didn't want to use bubblewrap or one of the other methods mentioned.
    If you search "shipping eggs", there are lots of threads.
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

7. Chickielady

Mar 10, 2010
    Raymond, WA
    My Coop
    OH and another thing that I cannot locate here is shipping chicks, how to...and shipping adult fowl, how to and members best ways to do so ?
    Do you drop the box of chicks off at the airport ?
    The nearest post office ?
    Do you send boxed LF with UPS ? Anybody ?[​IMG]

8. Chickielady

Mar 10, 2010
    Raymond, WA
    My Coop
    Thanks Lisa, I will search it, and gather imfo and then tell the newbie...and I myself was wondering about shipping LF.

9. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:To ship chicks, day olds can go priority mail. But they must day old. I ship express mail for adults/started birds. You must be NPIP to ship. I am, but I never put my certificate or forms on the box and I never have problems. Also, to ship live birds any birds older than day olds will need to be in a filtered bird shipping box approved by the USPS. I have only been shipping out Mondays and Tuesdays. You will have to check with your post office about shipping lives. I have to drop them off at mine around 12pm. The express truck comes in around 1pm.

10. Last edited: Dec 23, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by