Shipping????

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by drmeyes236, Mar 20, 2011.

1. drmeyes236

drmeyes236 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    ohio
    What is the best way to ship duck eggs??? They don't fit in an egg carton well, I fear some will get crushed by the lid even when bubble wrapped. How to you ship?

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I wrap them individually in bubble wrap. ( I dont use paper- of any natural fibre - tissues- cardboard- shavings etc- as they can all absorb moisture which can have an effect on the eggs during transit. ) But no so completely that the eggs are totally covered- I leave the ends kind of open a little so some air can still be around the egg. Then layer them into a box with plenty more bubble wrap. I lay them on their sides in the box. Around that box is a layer of foam if I am using a satchel for posting - or they go into a second box with a buffer of foam between the two. It ends up being a large pack for just eggs- but I have never lost an egg yet this way.

The first few times I posted- I did use an egg carton- but used every second hole to give each egg more space- I have trialled a few different ways of packaging as I have an ample supply of clean packaging materials I can recycle from work - but the method I use now- has been the most successful. Something I did learn- was that if one egg breaks- suddenly there can be alot more room in the package for movement- which can in turn lead to more and more eggs getting broken.

3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    This is how I shipped both chicken and duck eggs. There is a layer of foam on the bottom and then I put a layer on top and tie them together so nothing moves.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by