Shipping?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by aceintoledo, Dec 24, 2011.

1. aceintoledo

aceintoledo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    Ohio
    So I was looking to add about three chicks to my coop, I found a hatchery here in Ohio thinking it wouldn't cost to much. The chicks were fairly priced but I was shocked to see that $8.00 worth of chicks would cost $33.00 to ship! Is this about the going rate or is this outrageous?

2. GreenMeadows

GreenMeadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2011
    day old for 12 I charge around 50.00 for box and express shipping. If they are shipping priority its average.
    Quote:

3. dickhorstman

dickhorstman Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Dec 8, 2009
    burgettstown,pa
    We ship everything by express mail. Postage runs $25-$40 for a box of chicks. There would not be much difference in 3 chicks or 25 chicks. If they are shipping only 3 chicks they must be adding heat packs which is another cost. Labor to ship 3 chicks is no different than 25 chicks.

4. TLARSSEN

TLARSSEN New Egg

Dec 2, 2011
    I was also curious about shipping. It seems like some of the boxes (for adult birds) are $100 per box and they only hold one bird. What is the best option? The breeds that I have aren't worth that much, but I also don't feel comfortable giving them away as they are pets, and I am wary of giving them to just anyone.

5. TLARSSEN

TLARSSEN New Egg

Dec 2, 2011
    P.S. Sorry if this is the wrong place for posting this, I'm totally new to this.

6. bantam farm

bantam farm Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2011
    Massachusetts
    we also bought five chickens only to realize that the shipping costed more than the chickens themselves. if you buy from somewhere closer the shipping price will be less, but its hard to find places nearby

7. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    its more dangerous to ship so few than it is for 25. i have forgotten all the reasons but that is one. when you buy so few you also dont get 2-3 extra like you do when you buy 25.

8. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Quote:no that's not quite accurate.

a single bird box cost about $10 for the box and about $35- $45 on postage. They go up in size from there to full on swan boxes. Those now yes when shipping a big bird like a turkey, peafowl, or swan will run $100-$125 for the postage.

The average chicken box will hold 6-8 bantams or 4 or so large fowl when full and can be shipped for $50- $80, but that's for a box full of birds. If they are charging $100 to ship a single and small bird (chicken) they are putting a bunch in their pocket.
    It all depends on distance and weight, but these are the average prices. Low end are close by, high end is cross country.

It is pricey but all depends on how bad you want or need a bird. I do it all the time to get what I need for my breeding programs, just part of the cost of this hobby. But it's never cost me $100 even with 8-10 bantams in a larger box...

9. TLARSSEN

TLARSSEN New Egg

Dec 2, 2011
    haha now that I look again you are totally right....silly me...I think that I was looking under the 12 stall compartments....its really hard to understand Horizon's website (they make a LOT of spelling mistakes and use similar words like 'nests' and 'stalls' and don't explain the difference) and they don't post their prices unless you click "buy now"....thanks!!

10. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    Quote:no that's not quite accurate.

a single bird box cost about $10 for the box and about $35- $45 on postage. They go up in size from there to full on swan boxes. Those now yes when shipping a big bird like a turkey, peafowl, or swan will run $100-$125 for the postage.

The average chicken box will hold 6-8 bantams or 4 or so large fowl when full and can be shipped for $50- $80, but that's for a box full of birds. If they are charging $100 to ship a single and small bird (chicken) they are putting a bunch in their pocket.
    It all depends on distance and weight, but these are the average prices. Low end are close by, high end is cross country.

It is pricey but all depends on how bad you want or need a bird. I do it all the time to get what I need for my breeding programs, just part of the cost of this hobby. But it's never cost me $100 even with 8-10 bantams in a larger box...

i've talked to you before about pheniox eggs and was woundering if you had gotten any more colors besides the ones listed on your site and also if you can post pics of all the colors you have please. im more interested in seeing Lavender, Blue Gold, Dun, Blue Silver, and Dun Silver but would like to see all the other colors you have as well [​IMG] you can pm the pics or whatever is easist for you to do if you post them can you please send me the page address so i can find it thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by