Shivering and Pulling Feathers Out

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by Savannah Hayley, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Savannah Hayley

Savannah Hayley Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2014
    My ring neck dove, Cas, has been shivering a lot lately and it's not cold inside the house. He's also been pulling out a lot of feathers but it doesn't look like it's really hurting him. He doesn't have any bald patches or anything. I don't know if it's because of the stress of being shipped here and having a lot of work being done on the house right now or not. Also his droppings have been really wet lately but I haven't changed his diet any.

If anyone can tell me if there's anything to worry about then I'd really appreciate it. Thanks

2. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    Some of my birds are going though a molt now which is odd this late in the year. This is hard on birds and adds stress especially if it is a heavy molt. I can not with any certainty say this is you situation but it is my first guess. The other factors you described could definitely compound the problem. Nothing to worry about in my estimation.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  3. CedarCrestFarm

CedarCrestFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2014
    Kirtland Hills, Ohio
    You may want to make sure there are no signs of mites. My humble suggestion would be to add some herbs, coconut oil and fresh grains and probiotics to his diet. Have you taken his/her temperature?

1 person likes this.
  4. loftkeeper

loftkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2013
    doves being what they are might stress more after a move and new surroundings. just maKE COMFORTABLE AND KEEP A EYE ON HIM MAKE SURE EATING AND DRINKING NORMAL

5. Savannah Hayley

Sep 2, 2014
    Thanks for the advise everyone

6. Savannah Hayley

Sep 2, 2014

What kind of herbs and grains would I use?

7. loftkeeper

loftkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2013
    its been about two weeks from time you moved to now bird is a little stressed . do you feed grain or pellets pellets will make droppings looser . do you feed grain if so are you provideing grit not nessarcy with pellets but need with grain. make sure bird is not in draft . as long as the basic are provided will be ok just watch for abnormal behavior not eating is most common also if bird sits on perch and closes and open eyes alot bird needs water

8. CedarCrestFarm

CedarCrestFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2014
    Kirtland Hills, Ohio
    I have has great success with oregano either fresh or oil .garlic powder, lavender. All have great healing and immunity boosting properties.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by