Shivering chickens?!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by csummer8882, Jan 21, 2012.

1. csummer8882

csummer8882 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Rockingham County, NH
    Hi everyone! It's 14* or so here in Southern NH and I went down to do chores this morning. I opened the coop and there on one of the roosts was one of my girls. She had 1 foot up and the foot that was up was shivering. Our coop is small, not insulated. I just swapped out their cold water for some nice warm water. That is usually what I do a few times a day. Is this normal? We do not have electricity to the coop and would prefer to not have a heat lamp. Any suggestions? I also left then the option of going out into the run today in the new snow so they have a door open to the outside as well. I will attach a few pics of the coop so you all can see the size of the coop with the amount of girls that we have. Thank you!

[​IMG]

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

We didn't even make it up to 14 for high the last couple of days. Been below zero the last few nights. No heat either.

Deep straw in the coop. They like that. Yes, they'd stand on one foot, and fluff their feathers and so forth. Different individuals react differently to the cold. Some seem to pay absolutely no mind to it at all. I get them going by taking out their morning feeding of mash. I stir it up with hot water, old milk, or hot water from de-glazing a frying pan. (their particular favorite). They are fine. Just fine.

My wife pretty much hunkers down under a pull over throw too. She's not much for cold weather either, but she too will survive. [​IMG]

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Give her some scratch that would give her energy. I have birds that lift one foot up into her body...they know its cold but once she can get up on the roost, they can get themselves warm.

Sometimes I would give them a warm meal from scraps too. They like that!

No need for heat.

4. csummer8882

Apr 20, 2011
    Rockingham County, NH
    Thanks everyone. So this is normal then? This is our first winter with them so its all new to me! :) I didn't give them any cracked corn today as their run has new snow in it. Will they dig in it to find it? Should I go toss them some then?

5. This_chicks_place

This_chicks_place Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY

[​IMG] It's been cold here too. The girls seem just fine(we have no electric or insulation either). Yours will be fine. Do you have a flat roost for them to sit on their toes to keep them warm? That might help.

6. csummer8882

Apr 20, 2011
    Rockingham County, NH
    Won't they eat the straw? I have seen alot of people post that the chickens eat it and get impacted crops. That scares me even more. LOL

7. csummer8882

Apr 20, 2011
    Rockingham County, NH
    Yes, they have 2 roosts in the coop.

8. braindead101

braindead101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2011
    Midwest.
    You can also check for wind direction and put up a draft shield. Just closing the door to prevent the prevailing wind from blowing directly on your birds will help your chicks stay warm. Provided you have adequate ventilation you shouldn't have any problems with frostbite. That usually comes from higher humidity in the coop.

9. csummer8882

Apr 20, 2011
    Rockingham County, NH
    We have all doors shut except for the one for them to go out and that is just a small door. Hubby says the coop is good for ventilation and no real cross drafts. :) Thank you!

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    It is rare but if you throw some seeds in the lot, they will sort thru it, keeping busy. If it bothers you that much, shavings will do!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by