shock or sick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by granny hatchet, Jan 15, 2014.

1. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i found my bantam Cochin in the hole of a cinder block today. the holes are about 4x4 in. so not sure how or why it was there. looked like she was stuck almost like she went in and tried to summer-salt to get out. she is breathing hard. i tried to give her some sugar water but she wouldnt drink. there was some food in her crop but she had a nasty butt., like she might of been there for a while. i did a once over and she has no meat on her bones.she is way too light for her size. i have wormed them about a week ago. i didnt see anything. she has been in my room for a few hours with no change

2. Sarevan

Sarevan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2013
    White Swan, WA
    Awhile back I caught one of our hens trying to cram herself in a cement block, they were freaked out by a strange dog that was barking at the run and had attempted to get in. The strange dog is no longer a problem.

The hen was breathing fast, had messed herself horribly from partially cramming herself in the block. I got her out and it took a couple of hours to return to normal. Like your hen may be a bit shocky, from whatever scared the heck out of her. Clean her up, keep her warm and calm she may do a bit of a freak out when you take her back out. IF she is one of those that is being picked on she will try to get somewhere where she isn't being harassed and get herself stuck. Id make an area where she could go to get away if that is the case.

1 person likes this.
  3. Sarevan

Sarevan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2013
    White Swan, WA
    If she is so thin Id watch to see if she is being chased away from feeders, if she is set up another one. Make sure she gets to eat, even have some set aside that you feed her. We do that with one of our hens as she is so low in pecking order. We have even tube fed her to gain weight.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Granny, add some heat. If she is in shock, she will be cold. Shocking causes them to get very cold. And shock can kill them faster than any illness. Get the heat cranked up to 80 degrees. I would keep her inside and under heat until she starts eating again. However being so thin, there could be something else going on at the same time here.

What did you worm with?

1 person likes this.
  5. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    sounds about right. i put a new rooster in there for about 5 min. it was getting its butt kicked and i took him right back out but she looks like him so, maybe. but she is so thin and she has been close to the top of the chain. thank you

6. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    ivermectin. i think i used too much. i never seen any worms i was treating for leg mites and i figured ,why not.

7. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    It is possible the competition for food is causing the thinness. I would add more feeder areas.

I have never used Ivermectin and have heard it isn't all that effective. If you still suspect worms, you might worm with some safeguard.

8. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    That is for internal worms....the safeguard. :)

9. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i just heard her screaming in the bedroom i have her in a towel on my lap. she is dying. a lot of white diarrea her head twisted back

10. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    omg, that was a shock. the screaming. she is just laying here. if it wasnt so dark ... think i should take her outside and end the suffering. thats a lot of poop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by