Shock? Traumatized?

OzarkChooks

Songster
Jul 12, 2021
I had four 3 month old chicks, now I have three. Pretty sure a hawk got one of them several weeks ago. The survivors are still in shock I suppose. They will not leave the coop...at all. They eat and drink in there and never leave. They stay on the roosts and have become SO skittish. I try to lure them out with treats but they won't eat them. Should I just let them do this? How long do chickens stay scared after a predator attack?

I had four 3 month old chicks, now I have three. Pretty sure a hawk got one of them several weeks ago. The survivors are still in shock I suppose. They will not leave the coop...at all. They eat and drink in there and never leave. They stay on the roosts and have become SO skittish. I try to lure them out with treats but they won't eat them. Should I just let them do this? How long do chickens stay scared after a predator attack?
I am sorry you lost your pullet.

If you could post some pictures of your set up, we might be able to help you with the reason they won't come out. For instance, they might feel too exposed in case there are no bushes etc. near the coop to hide under.

I am sorry you lost your pullet.

If you could post some pictures of your set up, we might be able to help you with the reason they won't come out. For instance, they might feel too exposed in case there are no bushes etc. near the coop to hide under.
It's too dark right now, I'll get some pictures tomorrow. Their coops are right next to a tree and pretty close to the woods. They free range in a heavily wooded area.

IMG_20211209_130104070.jpg

This is where their coops are. All the other chickens hang out in the woods, under the pine trees. The young ones never leave the gray coop.

Back
Top Bottom