Shock?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by CountryBumpkin2011, Aug 18, 2011.

1. CountryBumpkin2011

CountryBumpkin2011 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2011
    Aurora, CO
    So I have 6 BR chicks, almost 3 weeks old. I also have one big dumb dog, that is usually so gentle. Well the chicks are in their coop during the day when its warm. Today somehow (still trying to figure it out) two of the chicks got out. When I went outside to check on them, I noticed our dog laying on the ground with one of the chicks, I was so terrified when I walked up thinking OMG she is dead!. But when I picked her up she opened her eyes and was still breathing. I dont think he was trying to kill her, knowing his tempermant I think he thinks they are toys. I have since moved all of the chicks back indoors so I can figure out how they possible got out. The second chick apparantly ran for the hills and got away because when I was walking around trying to find her, and calling for her....she ran over to me from under a bush. The little one that wasnt so lucky (that will totally be her name if she survives this trauma) seems to be in shock. I cleaned her off, and I dont see any visable trauma, no bleeding or noticably broken bones. She is chirping, but is just laying down. She opens her eyes some times but for the most part they are closed. Like I said I cleaned her up, and have her on a small towel next to me so she keeps warm and so I can keep a close eye on her.

So my question is, is there something else I should do for her? Is it possible that she is just in shock? What should I look out for? I am so worried about her [​IMG]

2. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    I have had this type of thing happen to me, about all you can do is keep her warm, keep her with you, give pedialyte type liquid via an eye dropper or soak a coner of a paper towel and see if you can get the wee one to take a drop or two.....try protien foods ie: cooked egg see if it will take a bite.........it is a wait and see thing, fuzzy could have internal injuries OR just be in shock......How long ago did this happen? Mine have taken about 12-24 hours to snap out of it [for lack of a better phrase].......I hope it will be a good out come like mine have been [I have a bird killer fox terrier-AKA: jaws of death] [​IMG]

3. CountryBumpkin2011

CountryBumpkin2011 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2011
    Aurora, CO
    Quote:I am boiling her an egg now and will try to feed her that, she doesnt seem to want anything to drink yet but I will keep trying. This just happened(within the hour), maybe 10 minutes before I posted the original questions. She is standing now and her eyes are open, but she still isnt moving around, she is just standing next to me on her towel. Oh man you have been through this multiple times, I dont know if I could stand it. I am so ticked at my dog right now, like I said I dont think he was TRYING to kill her but still its so frustrating. I am really hoping she is just in shock, my kids are all at school I really dont want to tell them that she passed....they love the chicks so much.

I will keep this thread updated as changes in her status occur. Since she is standing now, hopefully it will only be good news from here [​IMG]

4. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    I have learned that they can be very tuff little munchkins..... Please remember to keep her warm---very important....I am glad to hear she is standing.....good sign....Let HER call the shots as far as what she wants to do....do try food and water at intervals, but don't force.....Good old TLC right now is the best you can do. P.S. polar fleece seens to be a favorite of my fuzzies [when I have em]....if you have a piece or a glove/scarf...try that.......I am praying for your fuzzy......[​IMG] [​IMG]

Quote:I am boiling her an egg now and will try to feed her that, she doesnt seem to want anything to drink yet but I will keep trying. This just happened(within the hour), maybe 10 minutes before I posted the original questions. She is standing now and her eyes are open, but she still isnt moving around, she is just standing next to me on her towel. Oh man you have been through this multiple times, I dont know if I could stand it. I am so ticked at my dog right now, like I said I dont think he was TRYING to kill her but still its so frustrating. I am really hoping she is just in shock, my kids are all at school I really dont want to tell them that she passed....they love the chicks so much.

I will keep this thread updated as changes in her status occur. Since she is standing now, hopefully it will only be good news from here [​IMG]

5. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    wonder if the dog shook her? poor birdie... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by