Shocked!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by careeka22, May 13, 2019.

1. careeka22

careeka22 Songster

Jul 29, 2016
    Aylett VA
    After tons of research I had decided to build my own incubator out of a cooler. It was basic and although I had bought a fan I got better temps without it so I left it out. No thermostat, just a 25w bulb, some air holes, and water in a bowl to adjust humidity. I tested a few days then put 11 of my own flocks eggs in. All 11 were fertile and developing by day 5. I had one slow one that I did lose around day 10. The rest made it to lockdown. My temps would range from 97-102 and I had humidity in the 40's and then 60/70's in lockdown. It was in my finished basement. They were due Mother's day and I had 9 pips! 5 hatched that day, 2 that night and 2 today! One egg didn't make it, I broke it open and it was a cute yellow chick, my only one . But I had an 80% hatch rate my first go! They are sooo cute and doing great ☺️

Also side question. I have a Lavender Orp Roo and a CA white hen. My research showed she should be dominate white. I had 2 of her white eggs. But one hatched out black and the other was the yellow chick I lost. Is it more of a split situation? K

Attached Files:

Abriana and BarnhartChickens98 like this.
  2. BarnhartChickens98

BarnhartChickens98 Crowing

Oct 28, 2018
    Manhiem, Pennnsylvania
    careeka22 likes this.
  3. The Moonshiner

The Moonshiner Professional Chicken Tender

Nov 17, 2016
    Missouri
    Your california white hen is a hybrid cross between a california grey rooster and a white leghorn hen. That means she got a dominate white gene from her mother but not one from her father.
    Since she only has one copy she has a 50% chance of passing on dominate white and a 50% chance of not.
    She would also carry the barring gene from her father and since barring is sex linked she would pass it to her sons but not her daughters. Of course it would only show on the black chicks so if black chick has a head spot and feathers in barred its male if no head spot and no barred feathers its female.

careeka22 likes this.
  4. careeka22

careeka22 Songster

Jul 29, 2016
    Aylett VA
    Wow thank you so much! That explains so much. I have two with head spots but I wasn't sure if they were from her or my barred hen (also sex linked). I don't see barring but they have white tips to their wings. I'm going to try again with a few more white eggs and see what I get.

5. The Moonshiner

Nov 17, 2016
    Missouri
    I can't tell you how to tell if a chick is hers or from the barred rock but any chicks that are barred will be males.

careeka22 likes this.
  6. careeka22

careeka22 Songster

Jul 29, 2016
    Aylett VA
    Hi, I forgot to ask but with the chicks of this cross lay white or brown eggs? Or could it be either?

7. The Moonshiner

Nov 17, 2016
    Missouri
    They'll lay brown eggs.
    For the shell itself there's only two choices either white or blue.
    The brown is a different set of genes. There's something like 13+ genes involved. They are responsible for painting on the brown color.
    Your orp rooster has those genes and will pass them to the offspring so all will lay brown eggs but the exact shade of brown may vary some.

careeka22 likes this.
  8. careeka22

careeka22 Songster

Jul 29, 2016
    Aylett VA
    Thanks you! So I'm also correct to assume my blue and green EE layer babies with make green eggs right?

9. Anime2lover

Anime2lover Songster

Apr 17, 2019
    It's possible that your hen had that recessive gene like the rooster and the reccessive gene from both parents got passed to the other chick, wich would affectively block the dominant one I believe.

careeka22 likes this.
  10. The Moonshiner

Nov 17, 2016
    Missouri
    They will lay green or brown.
    There's two genes for the actual shell color white or blue. Blue is dominate so a hen can have one gene for white and one gene for blue and will lay blue eggs.
    Of course brown plus white equals brown and brown plus blue equals green.
    If your hens carry two genes for blue all eggs will be green.
    If they carry one blue gene and one white gene about half the offspring will lay green but about half will lay brown. Because she has a 50% chance of passing the white gene forward and a 50% chance of passing the blue.
    Just to be technical there really isn't a "white" egg gene its a non blue egg gene but saying white just makes it easier to explain.

careeka22 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: