Shocking chicken death... R.I.P dear Flash, we will miss you...

Scoop

Songster
11 Years
Jan 16, 2009
Central PA
I still can't believe I witnessed the horrible choking death of a perfectly healthy chicken! I had let my hens out to free range for like 45 minutes before dark last night and all was fine... I tidyed up the coop, put in fresh water and feed and then wandered around the yard to watch them in all their glory. Then I headed over to my house to fill up a gallon jug full of water for tomorrow. Our hose is under our deck so I was under there using the faucet and saw Flash there eating grass and some small weeds. The hens all like this spot for some reason. I said to her, "Hey Flashy, what are you doing here all by yourself?" So she's pecking at the ground and eating, she was like 4 ft. away. My jug had filled and I turned and came out from under the deck and set the jug on the bottom step. (I had walked like maybe 8 ft away!) All of a sudden she came running in my direction and was flapping her wings wildly and I thought, " What the heck?!" I noticed she was gasping for air and she fell over in like 15 seconds! I quickly tried to do the heimlick manouver and also tried to "massage" out whatever it was that was in her airway. She was flapping so wildly I wouldn't have been able to get her mouth open. Anyway, she died in moments, there wasn't anything I could do. I am still in shock and miffed about what she got in her. I put my finger down her throat as far as I could and didn't feel anything, I also tried a stick as I don't have long tweezers. I didn't want to do an autopsy on her, I couldn't have brought myself to cut her open. I searched the area for clues, I mean, I know right where she was, and didn't see anything unusual. What a freak accident! I hope nobody else experiences this!

This is her with her chicks just weeks ago. She was a sweet mom.

21251_picture_222.jpg

And this was just last week when she was with part of the gang.

21251_picture_271.jpg

She sure was a beauty, a mottled java.

Rest in peace Flash.
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom