Shocking chicken death... R.I.P dear Flash, we will miss you...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Scoop, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Scoop

Scoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Central PA
    I still can't believe I witnessed the horrible choking death of a perfectly healthy chicken! I had let my hens out to free range for like 45 minutes before dark last night and all was fine... I tidyed up the coop, put in fresh water and feed and then wandered around the yard to watch them in all their glory. Then I headed over to my house to fill up a gallon jug full of water for tomorrow. Our hose is under our deck so I was under there using the faucet and saw Flash there eating grass and some small weeds. The hens all like this spot for some reason. I said to her, "Hey Flashy, what are you doing here all by yourself?" So she's pecking at the ground and eating, she was like 4 ft. away. My jug had filled and I turned and came out from under the deck and set the jug on the bottom step. (I had walked like maybe 8 ft away!) All of a sudden she came running in my direction and was flapping her wings wildly and I thought, " What the heck?!" I noticed she was gasping for air and she fell over in like 15 seconds! I quickly tried to do the heimlick manouver and also tried to "massage" out whatever it was that was in her airway. She was flapping so wildly I wouldn't have been able to get her mouth open. Anyway, she died in moments, there wasn't anything I could do. I am still in shock and miffed about what she got in her. I put my finger down her throat as far as I could and didn't feel anything, I also tried a stick as I don't have long tweezers. I didn't want to do an autopsy on her, I couldn't have brought myself to cut her open. I searched the area for clues, I mean, I know right where she was, and didn't see anything unusual. What a freak accident! I hope nobody else experiences this!

This is her with her chicks just weeks ago. She was a sweet mom.

[​IMG]

And this was just last week when she was with part of the gang.

[​IMG]

She sure was a beauty, a mottled java.

Rest in peace Flash. [​IMG]

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    That's awful. I'm so sorry you lost her, she was lovely. [​IMG]

3. chicknduck

chicknduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    That is terrible. Sorry for your loss.

4. OrpingtonManor

OrpingtonManor Building the Castle

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    so sorry you lost her. very beautiful bird! [​IMG]

5. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    [​IMG] So sorry for your terrible loss. She was such a pretty girl. [​IMG]

6. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    I am SO sorry- there wasn't some quick acting poisonous thing there maybe? She was a pretty, pretty girl!

7. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Sounds horrible for you both. [​IMG] Perhaps she swallowed a bee and it stung her in the crop?

8. xxleandraxx

xxleandraxx Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2010
    Omg thats awful sooo sorry ((hugs)) she was a gorgeous lady x

9. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    Quote:Sorry for the loss of a sweet chicken. The first thing that came to my mind was a bee sting? Just like emys was suggesting.

10. SmartyChick

SmartyChick An Official Milkmaid

Oct 19, 2009
    Sullivan County NY
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I am so so sorry, that is a horrible experience. She was lovely!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by