1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

SHOCKING!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Madjohn85, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Madjohn85

Madjohn85 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2012
    Central Jersey
    I am shocked at the speed our chicks are growing.

We have had them for a week and a day. And they are feathering their wings, and last night, as I was cleaning out the pine, I n oticed that some of them are getting tail feathers!!!

I have a feeling that we may need to move them out of their brooder sooner than later. They are starting to try to escape everytime I open the lid. lol.

But all in all, they sure are a delgiht. More fun than I thought they would be, and I had already thought they would be fun!

[​IMG]

2. dirtbath

dirtbath Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2009
    North Carolina
    MINE TOO! At 3 days old, their little pin feathers were already out on their wings and I thought, "Geez, they wont be little baby fuzzys for very long"!!!

3. BantamoftheOpera

BantamoftheOpera Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Southern Maine
    Congrats on your new brood

4. jakesbigpapa

jakesbigpapa Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2012
    Ithaca, NY
    So awesome.....just makes me that more anxious to get our first brood at the end of this month.

5. Eznet2u

Eznet2u Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Pffft...My Cornish X are already picking out Prom outfits. [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  6. DCasper

DCasper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    Benton, KY
    Congratulations, I hope you enjoy the experience and that you are able to share it with someone else who enjoys it.

7. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    Yup, they do grow fast, lol. Gosh, I keep seeing everyone with there chicks already here and it is making me anxious for my chicks to hatch! There are two weeks left this Monday. :D

8. mrstillery09

mrstillery09 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2012
    Kansas City, Missouri
    I was going to make a post about the same thing! We got our chicks last Saturday and by Monday evening I could tell they looked bigger. I was not prepared for them to grow so quickly!

9. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    Yea mine are growing like weeds too. About 2 weeks old the look almost twice the size they were when I brought them home. Wing are almost completely feathered and tail feathers are about 3/4 inch long. Starting to sort out their pecking order and acting more like chickens every day.

10. Madjohn85

Madjohn85 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2012
    Central Jersey
    At 9 days old!! Give or take 6 hours.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by