1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Shoe Covers

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chicken pickin, Jan 18, 2013.

1. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    So Im going to start practicing good biosecurity to protect my flocks from outside diseases. I figured one good way was to have any outside person coming into my poultry yard will be made to wear shoe covers. I will also wear them if I enter anyone elses poultry yards. My question is I know I can order them online because I did that but does anyone know of stores that sell shoe covers so if I ran out and needed some I could run out to the store rather than wait on shipping. Thanks

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I think most people simply don't allow outsiders in their chicken yard or coop, particularly if they have or are around chickens. For myself, I have one pair of shoes I wear around the chickens that I do not wear anywhere else. You might want to change shoes and clothing after going to the feed store. I know of one person who has visitors step in a pan of bleach or Oxine as they enter her chicken areas.

3. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    Thanks for your reply. The only reason I was thinking about the shoes is because I also raise turkeys and if I have people want to veiw them before buying so they can pick the one/s they want they may need to enter the yard. Im not sure how else to go about it. Any suggestions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by