Shoe recommendations?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by suchanoob, Nov 4, 2016.

1. suchanoob

suchanoob Just Hatched

Oct 24, 2016
    I guess this is in the wrong place, but I really didn't know where to post it. I need some new shoes to wear in the barnyard that I can get on and off QUICKLY (but not mules, slides, etc...I want full coverage), are waterproof and will keep my feet decently warm in Virginia winters. Plus, my feet have been really abused over the years so the shoes have to be COMFY. Finally, I don't want to spend more than $40-$50. I know it's a tall order but can anyone recommend something?

(FYI, I got some Sloggers boots but they are just a pain to get on and off.)

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Here's an old thread where folks discuss their chicken boot preferences. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/845512/farm-boots-muck-boots-mudruckers-cheap-boots
    I like mid-calf length slip on rubber boots I get at my local farm and ranch. They are the style of the Sloggers you describe but for me are easy on and off. They have a little cleat at the back of the heal that neatly grabs the bottom step so I can slide them off and not have to touch them when they're messy and my foot slides in just by pointing my toe. They are not insulated so they aren't good for a long stay outdoors if it's too cold, especially if your aren't moving much. I go through a pair a year but they do what I need them to do.

3. suchanoob

suchanoob Just Hatched

Oct 24, 2016
    I like my Sloggers (they have chickens on them!), but I ordered them a half-size too small and it's a struggle to get them off. Thanks for the link!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
  4. birdwrangler057

birdwrangler057 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2016
    South Carolina
    I agree with redsox, my friend works on a dairy farm and swears by muck boots, they are insulated, comfortable, not you typical rain boots, some have steel toes. over all great boots. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. suchanoob

suchanoob Just Hatched

Oct 24, 2016
    Yeah, I liked the muck boots I saw on Amazon, but the price tag... Ouch! I may just have to bite the bullet, though. Although, I'm reading the thread redsox linked to and someone mentioned overboots. I might go that route instead.

6. birdwrangler057

birdwrangler057 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2016
    South Carolina
    Yes, the price is kind of high, but they will last you forever, my friend only buys new pairs because he is growing out of his older ones.

7. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    If you like the sloggers, why not just get a larger pair that fits?

1 person likes this.
  8. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Muckboots!!! Very comfortable, wear for years, and warm in winter. Here in Michigan, I get the Artic Sport tall boots, and am never cold, even in sub-zero weather. I also have the tall all-weather boots, and they would work for you in tropical Virginia. Look for sales and check local farm stores, because prices will vary. Worth every dime. Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by