Shoes

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MotherToMoose, Oct 21, 2016.

1. MotherToMoose

MotherToMoose Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2016
    Hello all, I currently have a duckling about a month old. I am trying to find someone who makes shoes for him to wear when he gets a bit bigger. Unfortunately, that is becoming harder a task then I thought... Any suggestions?

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings MotherToMoose, and :welcome! You are the second person in the last week who posted asking for info about something I never even knew existed - duck shoes. :lau. Having a hard but mirthful time imagining what that must look like. I did a BYC search for duck shoes and located some old threads you might want to explore https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=Duck+shoes
    You might also ask the folks in the Ducks Forum here https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks
    Finally, stop over at the BYC New Member Introduction Forum so we can give you a proper BYC welcome! https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/44/new-member-introductions
    Good luck to you!

3. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    Duck shoes are a new one for me. What's the purpose for a duck shoe? Bumblefoot rehab?

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Yes bumble foot rehab. I bought some chick shoes for a chicken recovering from bumble but they don't last long because of all the scratching chickens do.

5. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    What are the chicken versions made of? I'm thinking neoprene, but have no frame of reference.

6. MotherToMoose

MotherToMoose Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2016
    I would want them more as a preventative for my duck. If he is walking around with me away from home I don't want any chance of him getting an infection or hurt

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Yes neoprene but that won't stand up to constant scratching. I finally just used vet wrap. I think depending on terrain the duck shoes would last alot longer but then again I wouldn't want one of my ducks walking on terrain that would hurt their feet. Taking our birds to areas where they are subjected to other wild or domestic birds or animals is not only possibly harmful to their feet but for alot of other diseases that maybe there. @MotherToMoose Welcome to BYC and if your planning on taking your duck to areas where other wild or domestic birds are please think about the potential of what can happen before you do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by