1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Shooting predators

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Paul_Maxson, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Paul_Maxson

Paul_Maxson New Egg

Dec 10, 2010
    I live in Northern California, and just started growing my chicks from a dozen unfertilized eggs I bought at Trader J00s. Anyway, I've been seeing some coons hanging out round my coop lately. Is it ethical to shoot coons?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Well, first of all, you can't hatch chicks from UNfertilized eggs, so if there are babies growing in there, they were definitely fertilized. [​IMG]

Welcome to BYC. Ethics are up to you. Legalities are what you must deal with in your location. You need to know the laws about discharging a firearm in your neighborhood. In most places, it's completely legal to shoot predators (other than federally protected ones like raptors) to protect your flock.

3. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

It is more a legal question than an ethical question.

Check your game laws. Raccoons are considered fur bearers in some states. You should be able to check on California's Fish and Game, Department of Natural Resources, Fish and Wildlife or whatever the agency is called that takes care of hunting, fishing, and trapping. They might have to look elsewhere under agriculture for exceptions to the rules for predator control.

4. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    [​IMG] It depends on the laws where you live. If it is legal to shoot them and you can do so safely, and humanely, then by all means, do so! We live in a rural area and by law are able to shoot animals that are harrassing our livestock. Check your laws. Also, you'll find a handy phrase in this section, "SSS-Shoot, Shovel, and Shut up!"

Shelly

5. J.Pryce

J.Pryce Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Ypsilanti
    I think this is some type of joke. Anyone who raises chickens knows that unfertilized eggs won't hatch, & he got them from Trader Joes? I think Trader Joes is a grocery store.

6. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    T'is true, check your local fish and game but the general rule is live stock is your right and predators are fair game. Some animals take a call to your local warden prior to dispatching. Even deer out of season or turkeys can be shot if you have legitimate complaint and local wardens consent.

7. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    J.Pryce :

I think this is some type of joke. Anyone who raises chickens knows that unfertilized eggs won't hatch, & he got them from Trader Joes? I think Trader Joes is a grocery store.

I'm thinking the unfertilized egg comment was a typo. There have been several posts on BYC about people hatching eggs from Trader Joe's. Do a search and you'll be shocked! [​IMG]

Shelly​

8. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

All states are different and you can get in trouble following generalties and rules of thumb. In Illinois it almost takes and act of congress to kill or trap predators, including deer eating your soybeans.

9. Paul_Maxson

Paul_Maxson New Egg

Dec 10, 2010
    Quote:oops. sorry my typo. well i know i can't actually fire my ar-15 at the coons, i was thinking about using my bow and sticking one in them.

10. GAGE

GAGE Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    GA
    Some TJ's actually sell fertilized eggs, unfortunately the one by me does not. I was looking for some cheap eggs to fill the bator for my first hatch. BTW, the OP's avatar is a little creepy.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by