shooting trespassing chickens?

Jennyhaschicks

Songster
11 Years
May 3, 2008
Maine
Can anyone direct me to what types of laws there are on shooting chickens? My neighbors said the next time my birds cross their property they are going to shoot them.
For the record we are going to get fencing early this week and are going to leave them in their house until we get a fence put up.
Just trying to find out what rights my birds have.
We live in Maine.

eta

If mod sees this can you please move it into the law section.
Sorry.

Last edited:
ok i dont want to stir the pot....but...
hide.gif

If someone posts on here that the neighbors dog keeps comming into their yard a lot of us (me included) will start shouting SSS

so why is the tone changing when someone suggests SSS with a chicken?
hide.gif

a property line is a property line....be responsible for your pets no matter if they walk on 4 legs or 2

**(running for a rain coat now....expecting poop to fly)**

youre kidding right?? man what aweful neighbors. i have no idea what the law is, in fact i dont even know if there would be a law about shooting a Trespassing chicken. brb my dh is calling, he s law

In GA, it would be cruelty to animals. He has to be in fear for his life and have the gun on his person, not run inside and get it first. The only exception is if he is in fear for the life of another, then he can run inside and get the gun. So, if he does, you could report it, but know that you may open yourself up for being cited for having an uncontained animal. I hope it doesn't come to this for you. Good Luck!

he said the only way you can shoot ANY animal on your property in VA is if you are "In fear for your life" or if theyre harming livestock.

No I am not kidding.
I respect their property so we don't allow for our chickens to go over there. This has been going on for quite some time. We own on 3 sides of them. First they want a fence and then they don't.. want, don't.. want.. don't. We put the fence on the back burner for a few weeks. So tonight he said he was going to shoot them if they are over there. Not to mention we have 2 kids who play outside all day.
th.gif

Are you inside city limits? Most cities and/or states have laws about discharging firearms in populated areas or towards homes. So, check those first. Call your local sheriff or police (whoever has jurisdiction) and report the threat.

Assuming that you find these kind of laws that would be violated should he shoot your birds, make sure to send him a certified copy of the law, and make it obvious that you have sent a copy to the sheriff or police as well (and do so).

Next, make sure to keep your birds cooped or tractored until you get a tall enough fence to contain them--depending on the breed it may need to be a full 8' tall. A four foot fence will usually contain silkies, but don;t count on it for other breeds. If there are bushes or other things that the birds can use as a ladder to get up higher, they will.

What is the specific concern your neighbor has? Pooping on his proch, eating the fruits/vegies in his garden? destroying his grass? Do your chickens ever "escape" and go onto his property? Make amends for their offenses--take eggs over as a peace offering.

Realize that it is your job to fence in your animals, not his to fence them out--same as if he had a dog that was coming over and threatening your birds--his job to contain his animal. Often neighbors can get along well enough to share costs and efforts to fence common property boundaries, but it sounds like that is not a real option unless he wants some say in selecting the type of fence.

put the fence up ASAP!!!! who cares if he don't want it, your property! but i agree it's your responsiblity to cage and controll your chickens
lau.gif

Sorry it just sounds silly
gig.gif

he just can't shoot them, call animal control and ask what recourse you have? they will know.
what a
duc.gif

With all due respect and I have chickens. Why do you feel your rights override theirs? Don't they have the right not to have chickens in their yard? My chickens pecked the daylights out of everything including my bleeding hearts and vegetable garden. They poop whereever they feel like it. I have a fenced in yard and am out with them anytime they're out of the run. If you let your chickens get into their yard and they get shot, it's on you.
Suppose they had a dog that pooped in your yard, dug up your flowers?

Quote:
Read the post. This is not what the OP said. On the contrary, the neighbor was undecided about the fence, then announced plans to shoot.

Back
Top Bottom