Shop doesnt know whats what, 4 day old chicks I bought today

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kalim1993, Aug 23, 2010.

1. kalim1993

kalim1993 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2010
    Uk, Lancashire, Preston
    Hi, I went to a farm today to buy small chicks for the first time and I was hoping to buy an amber star, white star and a black rock, the lady at the shop said we dont know what yellow chick will be what so u have to buy and see what you got later.

I really thought that was weird, to the little chick in my avatar pic is 4 day old and either an amber star or white star or a sussex.
    I also bought a black rock 4 day old there absolutely beautiful!!!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  2. Luke13:34

Luke13:34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    The Naugatuck Valley
    Well she shur is purty, whatever she is!

3. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    I'm guessing that an "amber star" is a type of gold sex-link. If that is what it is, then you've got a rooster, in gold sex-links, the females are golden-red (buff) and the males are white like yours. I don't know what a "white star" is, and the only sussex I am familiar with is Speckled, which yours is not.

4. kalim1993

kalim1993 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2010
    Uk, Lancashire, Preston
    Hi, thanks for the reply, yh the only thing she said is that she knows they are definately females

5. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    No offense, please don't take this wrong, but if the seller can't even tell you for sure the breed why trust that they are truly female?

6. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    BigDaddy'sGurl :

No offense, please don't take this wrong, but if the seller can't even tell you for sure the breed why trust that they are truly female?

A lot of the small farms round my way buy hybrid sex-link day old chicks in large quantities to raise and sell as POL birds. They buy them from big commercial hatcheries who cull all the male chicks and only sell on the females. So these small farms can amost 100% guarantee that all the chicks they sell are females, but once they've all been put in together in one big brooding shed, they aren't always sure what breed is what. Perhaps not the most professional way of doing things, but usually fine for most people who are just wanting a few commercial hybrid layers from their local farm and aren't too worried about breeds...​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by