Short leg genetics crossbreeding

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ThiefPouter06, Mar 12, 2012.

1. ThiefPouter06

ThiefPouter06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2008
    green co. KY
    I have a crossed roo that has short legs. The mother was a japaneseXsilkie the father was suppose to be a Jersey Giant(poor hen). My question is, does leg length vary in degree? Will some short legs birds be longer than others? I am curious if anyone has worked with short leg genes in a crossbreeding standard sized project? I am not 100% on the jersey giant because the roo appears to be BBR. But my friend says he had no other rooster and he had her for a long time before she laid. I will try to get a pic. Picture this, short feathered legs, tall tail, large rosecomb.

2. Meara

Meara Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Midwest
    I don't know the answer to your question, but I thought I'd bump this thread and maybe someone else will chime in.

3. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    Yes, there is variation. Even without the creeper gene japanese bantams have shorter legs than average.

Note that the rosecomb gene locus is linked to the creeper gene locus, but it is the wildtype form of the rosecomb gene in japanese.
    So it is not easy to breed a pure rosecomb chicken with short legs.

4. ThiefPouter06

ThiefPouter06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2008
    green co. KY
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by