1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Short Legged Call Drake

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckmeister, Jan 28, 2016.

1. duckmeister

duckmeister Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2014
    Anderson, California
    My last years hatch little gray call drake has such short legs that he really has a hard time keeping up with the other calls when they are out free ranging, he stumbles and tilts foreward a lot too, other than that he seems perfecfly fine and happy, he's very small with a compact body and short bill and puffy cheeks, probably the closest thing to show quality drake I've got, but thinking I'm going to have to lock him up with a hen because he moves so slow with his short little legs, there's no way he can compete with the other drakes in breeding season, also wondering if his legs might be placed a little to far back. The hen I bought for him will compliment his shortcomi gs I think. Will have to take a video of him walking so you can see what I mean. Anybody else have problems with a call duck with legs to short?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I don't have Calls - one of my Runners has legs that are a little shorter than everyone else's.

3. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Do you have a picture or video?
    Good quality calls will have shorter legs but it usually doesn't affect how they get around

4. duckmeister

Oct 13, 2014
    Anderson, California
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The bottom picture where he's moving, he keeps up just fine until the other ducks start moving real fast, then he starts falling foreward on his chest and can't keep up. He's fine as long as nobody gets in a hurry. When they are first turned loose in the morning out of their pen to free range, that's when he starts falling over, cause they are in a big hurry to get out and start hunting bugs and eating grass. Only him, a dozen other all ducks have no problem.

5. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    I think it's just an issue of quality. Your little drake looks like the breed standard: Round keel, short bill, chubby cheeks, and short legs. My Wobbles cant keep up with pet-quality Bean, who runs like lightning. Look at my avatar - Wobs' legs are TINY.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  6. duckmeister

Oct 13, 2014
    Anderson, California
    Amykins, I think you'r right, he's just a little more typey than the others. Your little Wobs is a really cute little fellow.

7. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    So's that cutie pie drake! I just wanna grab him and kiss him for hours!

1 person likes this.
  8. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    His legs don't look abnormally short. They are normal for call ducks :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by