Short legged game chicken?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by coppercloud, Dec 30, 2014.

1. coppercloud

coppercloud Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2013
    Maple Ridge, BC, Canada
    I wasn't quite sure where to put this, but I figured it was a genetics question. Would it be possible to breed a short legged game chicken by crossing a scots dumpy hen with a (bantam) game cock? the gene the short legged gene is dominant so it sounds plausible.

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    I think that'd be quite comical since there is already a long legged Modern Game. But from what I was told is that the short legged gene A.K.A the creeper gene is a lethal gene which kills 3/4 of a hatch. Wouldn't that be a problem.

3. coppercloud

Aug 17, 2013
    Maple Ridge, BC, Canada
    I was thinking more like a Scots dumpy X bantam Asil or Scots dumpy X bantam Malay (I'm not even sure if those breeds have bantams) . I'm thinking it could be a very thin bird with very short legs, a chicken penguin. I believe the creeper gene is only lethal in a double dose and since the cock wouldn't have the gene I wouldn't have to worry about that in the first crossing , but you would get about 75% long legged 25% short legged.

4. coppercloud

Aug 17, 2013
    Maple Ridge, BC, Canada
    bump

5. coppercloud

Aug 17, 2013
    Maple Ridge, BC, Canada
    Thoughts?

6. coppercloud

Aug 17, 2013
    Maple Ridge, BC, Canada
    Maybe cross the Scots dumpy with an araucana first so it really would be a penguin

7. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    I would really like to see a penguin chicken. It could be the Runner duck of the chicken world [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by