Short Rant - Housemates

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Stacykins, May 18, 2011.

1. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    I am going to start off by saying that I love my housemates. We've been living together for two years and all things considered, have gotten along swimmingly with very few problems. Sure, anyone you live with for that long will result in bickering and small arguments, kinda like with family.

T-minus two days until I move out, with our lease being officially up at the end of the month. Honestly, none of the others have helped clean anything. They've packed, but no oven scrubbing, floor mopping, etc. I often am the one who does all the housework, but I am tired to being the only one to clean the common areas. I'm almost to the point of not caring. I moved in a month after they did, to replace a housemate that fell through, so the house deposit was already paid. So, I'm almost vindictively thinking that if I refuse to clean anymore (I will choose one room to leave sparkling, my room) and let them deal with it. I've already chipped in my share for the carpet steam cleaning, so that is taken care of. I mean, if they leave crap dirty when they move out, it isn't going to affect me, since their deposit contributions will be charged. I had a pet deposit, which is exclusive to pet replaced damage only (and my cats use their litterboxes loyally, don't claw at carpet, wall trimmings, etc. just a few puking episodes that were promptly cleaned). So, the landlady already knows only pet related deductions will be made from mine, not general filthiness of not cleaning. In fact, I own the vacuum cleaner, so when I go, they won't have a chance to vacuum, so they really should get it done! They aren't complete slobs, the house is very livable, no odd smells or really gross stuff. But It isn't in spic and span move out condition. I'm not expecting them to use a toothbrush to scrub the floor, but sweeping and running a mop over the kitchen floor isn't too much to ask? A soapy washcloth over the countertops? It will take a half an hour tops to get a room perfectly clean, but they're having none of it.

*sigh* I really hate moving. And I don't want to leave on a bad note. But seeing as I've been the main maid around here (no job for the past few months, so I am home often, but if I ask them to help I get the answer "maybe later" which translates into it not getting done). I can start nagging, and that gets them to help, but I hate being a nag. The two boys I live with are great friends, the other girl, not so much, but she is still nice, just not easy to get along with. I've tried before leaving it until it was too dirty to deal with (dishes, I washed what I used and that was it) but that didn't really work. I don't think all the cleaning should fall on my shoulders, since I am only one of four residents here total in this four bedroom house. That means 3/4 of the common area cleaning should not be my responsibility.

2. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    Will that mean you won't get any deposit back? Arrrgh! I feel your pain..been there done that...with close relatives..which is worse! If it doesnt cost you then let them do the rest.

3. Stacykins

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    I didn't contribute a general deposit because it had already been paid before I moved in. You see, there was another housemate before I was invited to live here, there was some falling out and she left. So the others had already paid the general deposit, and the landlady knew that I hadn't contributed to it. She already had all she needed, so she was set and just made a note on who got what after deductions. I hope to get the pet deposit back (separate from the general deposit), but that has nothing to do with cleanliness, just damage done by the cats (which there isn't any).

4. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Apartment manager here....

Make sure you email the landlord reminding them that you put in the pet deposit and that you would like the pet deposit returned to you at: (new address) Also note that there has been no pet damage and ask them for a walk through to document the condition post pets. Make sure you take good pictures too!

I would write an email to your roommates telling them you have cleaned your room, your windows, blinds, lights etc. One appliance in the common kitchen and maybe one other window and 1/4 of the bathroom(s) Pick one thing like the sink or shower etc.

The rest is then up to them. You can print out a copy of that email for your landlord as well.

I had a friend in the same situation, messy roommates, only she stood to loose her deposit. So she "helped" and packed up her roommates stuff, of course that included the food in the refrigerator and all the dirty dishes, the trash in her room etc. All nice and neatly packed in taped up boxes. [​IMG]

5. Stacykins

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Thanks Carols Clucks, I definitely made sure to do that. The landlady has known for several weeks my new address for whatever remains of the deposit. Pictures have also been taken.

I caved and decided to clean the kitchen from top to bottom. I am already leaving on a rather sour note with the one girl in the house, but then again, she has a severe anxiety problem so something like moving makes her go nuts. No way to please her even if you tried, so just stay outta the line of fire and you are somewhat OK.

I don't think I could be that bad as to pack up their dishes dirty, lol. I am sure it was a feeling of triumph for your friend! Hopefully she got her deposit back. I guess the only thing I've done like that was when the neighbor who shares the same common driveway entrance refused to shovel for half the winter (if he had a medical problem, it would have been no biggie, but he was just a lazy college student). Problem was quickly solved when we buried his car under all the snow in the driveway during a blizzard. He tattled to the landlady (she owns the property he was renting too) and (we) informed him that we had documentation of every time we shoveled and how long it took each time. He shut up and did his share for the rest of the season.

6. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Get your area sparkling... air it out well/deodorize (with carpet stuff and vacuum)... and leave the rest to them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by