1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Short video of peeps

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by PorkChop, May 15, 2011.

1. PorkChop

PorkChop Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2010
    North Carolina
    Wanted to share this short video of our chicks coming out of their run... they make me laugh.

[​IMG]

2. smokeykk

smokeykk Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    How did you get them to come when you call them!? I have seen this before, but my 3 week olds just stand there!

3. harmona1

harmona1 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2010
    Indiana
    So cute! My girls still come running whenever they think I'm bringing them a treat. Raisins are a favorite!

4. PorkChop

Apr 27, 2010
    North Carolina
    Quote:We have 6 Buffed Orpingtons and we handle them lots, neighbor kids too they love them. One of the chicks (her name is Noodle) is so friendly that if you kneel down and pat your knee she jumps up on it, then she jumps up to your shoulder. She loves to be petted, actually most of them do just some more than others. I think the trick is handling them often very gently, then we hand feed them meal worms at least once a day. Neighborhood kids love this, the neighbor lady too. [​IMG] Every time we walk out there we call to them, we been calling for peeps but you can use anything. They come running hoping you have a box of meal worms with you. Sometimes we do and sometimes we don't, but they come running. I think the meal worms are the real ticket though, its like candy to a child. If we just open our back door and call out to them they all come running to the nearest corner of the run, pushing each other for the best seat. [​IMG] I'll hold a meal worm up and get them to follow me, calling for them as you keep backing up. It's funny, like today I let them out and ran away from the run, they come running, flying and jumping after me, it is so funny and I can't believe how much I enjoy these birds. I'll have to get my wife out there with the video camera and try that again.

Anyway I'm no expert but that is what we are doing and I hope that helps. Give the meal worms a try and talk to them, or shake the box of worms as you walk up to them, just do the same thing every time and in a few days they figure it out.

5. PorkChop

Apr 27, 2010
    North Carolina
    Quote:Raisins, awesome I will have to try that one too, thanks!

6. harmona1

harmona1 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2010
    Indiana
    I think we can all agree with you on that one! I sit out there for hours just watching them. Even when I've had an exceptionally bad day, the girls can always put a smile on my face. I think I have the neighbor kid hooked, too. He told me the other day, "I really like watching them." Ah, chicken therapy. I feel bad for the people who just don't "get" it!

Quote:

7. PorkChop

Apr 27, 2010
    North Carolina
    We do the same thing, even bought a 3 seat swing chair just for watching chickens. After a day of stressful situations at work, nothing better than watching chickens with your dog at your side, the world is one again...

Quote:

8. Keltara

Keltara Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:We have 6 Buffed Orpingtons and we handle them lots, neighbor kids too they love them. One of the chicks (her name is Noodle) is so friendly that if you kneel down and pat your knee she jumps up on it, then she jumps up to your shoulder. She loves to be petted, actually most of them do just some more than others. I think the trick is handling them often very gently, then we hand feed them meal worms at least once a day. Neighborhood kids love this, the neighbor lady too. [​IMG] Every time we walk out there we call to them, we been calling for peeps but you can use anything. They come running hoping you have a box of meal worms with you. Sometimes we do and sometimes we don't, but they come running. I think the meal worms are the real ticket though, its like candy to a child. If we just open our back door and call out to them they all come running to the nearest corner of the run, pushing each other for the best seat. [​IMG] I'll hold a meal worm up and get them to follow me, calling for them as you keep backing up. It's funny, like today I let them out and ran away from the run, they come running, flying and jumping after me, it is so funny and I can't believe how much I enjoy these birds. I'll have to get my wife out there with the video camera and try that again.

Anyway I'm no expert but that is what we are doing and I hope that helps. Give the meal worms a try and talk to them, or shake the box of worms as you walk up to them, just do the same thing every time and in a few days they figure it out.

We have 4 Buff Orpingtons. They are about to turn 6 weeks. They are the same exact way! We handled and played with our chicks VERY often as well. They are like little puppies. Ours come when you call and absolutely love to be handled and pet. They are a wonderful sweet breed.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  9. PorkChop

Apr 27, 2010
    North Carolina
    Great picture Keltara!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by