1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Short wave conversation

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by jafo, Dec 9, 2009.

1. jafo

jafo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Conversation overheard on the VHF Guard (emergency) frequency 121.5 MHz while flying fromEurope to Dubai . It's too good not to pass along..

The conversation went like this...
    Iranian Air Defense Radar:'Unknown aircraft you are in Iranian airspace. Identify yourself.'
    Aircraft:'This is a United States aircraft. I am in Iraqi airspace.'
    Air Defense Radar:'You are in Iranian airspace. If you do not depart our airspace we will launch interceptor aircraft!'
    Aircraft:'This is a United States Marine Corps FA-18 fighter. Send 'em up, I'll wait!'
    Air Defense Radar:(no response .... total silence)
    God Bless our troops!

2. Shannon's Chix

Shannon's Chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    N.E. Florida
    [​IMG]

3. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    [​IMG]:thumbsup Thanks! my boss is WWII Marine veteran--he loved this!

4. cat

cat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    Point 1. Challenges are not broadcast on VHF Guard. And 121.5 MHz is not Guard in the sense being used here. 121.5 MHz is international distress, used by emergency beacons and such.

Point 2. You never identify yourself to that degree when initiating a challenge or responding to one. The correct response would of been something along the lines of "United States Aircraft" not specifically "United States Marine Corp F/A-18." When responding to a challenge you identify yourself only in the vaguest terms necessary.

Even on Nimitz Class Aircraft Carriers, which even at many miles simply cannot be mistaken for anything else on the planet, refer to ourselves when responding to challenges only using the generic term "United States Warship."

added to that Iran has a quite capable airforce, including two domestically designed and produced fighter aircraft, F-14, Mirage F1, F-4 (which I suspect they have redesignated as attack aircraft), MiG-29, Su-25, Su-27, MiG-25 and a nonsense of F-5. I think they have retired their fleet of MiG-21, opting to replace them with domestic aircraft instead of upgrading them to modern standards (something quite a few nations did).

Add to this that many of their pilots (and commanders, people often forget that bit) have plenty of real combat experience from the first gulf war.

I'm sure they could easily muster the force needed to intercept a lone FA-18, and, if need be, destroy it. Do you really think a pilot would risk starting a war with Iran just to be a smart alec? [​IMG]

A funny story though [​IMG]

5. jafo

May 2, 2009
    Sent to me as is,and I laughed my butt off. Tried researching the validity,,nothing. Could'nt help sharing, probably should have put "this" in the IP. I figgered it'd hafta be SOMEWHAT incorrect, thinking to myself that why was he flying alone in the first place? "round here it's always two. (or more) I figgered there'd be a pro answering soon too. But yes,,,,,,,,,it is a funny "story". [​IMG]

6. cat

cat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    Did you ever hear this one, it made me laugh a lot

This is a supposed transcript of a radio conversation between a US Naval ship and Canadian authorities off the coast of Newfoundland.

US SHIP: Please divert your course 0.5 degrees to the South to avoid a collision.

CANADIAN REPLY: Recommend you divert YOUR course 15 degrees to the South to avoid a collision.

US SHIP: This is the Captain of the US Navy Ship. I say again, divert YOUR course.

CANADIAN REPLY: No, I say again, divert YOUR course!

US SHIP: THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER USS MISSOURI. WE ARE A LARGE WARSHIP OF THE US NAVY. DIVERT YOUR COURSE NOW OR WE WILL TAKE APPROPRIATE AND DRASTIC MEASURES!!!!

CANADIAN REPLY: This is a lighthouse. Your call. [​IMG]

7. jafo

May 2, 2009
    [​IMG] Yeah, I busted on that one too! And the Marine sniper interviewed by Katie Curic??? (I got through email) What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist??? With a smile he says "a slight recoil",,,,,,,

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by