shotgun experts-need advice*pics added*

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by dinahmoe, Jan 31, 2011.

1. dinahmoe

dinahmoe Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    i posted this here because i figured this is where most of the gun folks are so mods if you need to move it ,please do.

i need some info on a shotgun that belong to my DH grandfather.it will be given to our son who is currently 4 yrs old.

it is a 1925 winchester model 1912 16g.
    it has 2 barrels-full and mod.

it has a firing pin problem and i wanted it fixed.i have searched and have one guy but he is in MO(i am in GA).

i have more details about it so if anyone out there knows anything or anyone who could help out,please PM me as i don't want to get into long details about it on here.
    thanks

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  2. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    You might want to check to see if it has damascus barrels. If it does it will just be a wall hanger as the old barrels can't take the pressures of todays ammo. I would also get in touch with Winchester. I believe the site is www.winchesterguns.com

3. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    just about any gunsmith should be able to fix a firing pin problem...fairly common issue and not a hard fix. They will be able to tell you about condition and such.

that is a great gun though. Shells are on the pricey side now but that was the preffered gun of most southern quail hunters at one point

4. dinahmoe

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    Quote:thanks ,i have talked to winchester and i am waiting their response.
    something was done to it to accomadate the longer shells ,i think.

5. dinahmoe

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    Quote:i have talked to 3 different gunsmiths and they all say that they can't but someone else might be able to fix it.found someone in MO who could do it for $400 but i don't want to ship the gun.it can't be replaced if it were to get lost or stolen.(if that makes sense).i would be willing to travel to someone a little closer tho.

"that was the preffered gun of most southern quail hunters at one point"
    yep,it was traded for a type writer and 2 bird dogs in 1925.

6. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    If you have a Gander Mountian store in your area they should have a gun smith, even if they can't fix it they may know someone that can.

7. dinahmoe

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    Quote:thanks,
    i have never heard of them but i will look them up.[​IMG]

8. Roy

Roy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2007
    Central Illinois
  9. Delmar

Delmar Chillin' With My Peeps

I tend to ask my chicken questions here, my religion questions at the theology forum and my shotgun questions at http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/index.php

I'm sure somebody over there could put you in touch with a gunsmith.

10. X2Farm

X2Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Homer, GA
    Hey D, I can hook ya up with a stellar gunsmith just up the road from me. Sending you a PM

He's well worth the trip, and fixed DH's old 16g shotgun for us a while back...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by