SHOTS!!! I need answers!!! FAST!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chevis, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Chevis

Chevis Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Brunot
    I have a HORRIBLE case of Mycoplasmosis. 3/4 of my flock are infected!![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I orderde Tylan powder and injections. Can someone please tell me how and where to I give my chickens a shot!!???

2. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:EEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeyow!!!

I have only treated with antibiotics for infections of wounds, but I generally give an injection under the loose skin on the neck.

I have also had to give injections for vaccination - hundreds of those, and they are in the breast muscle. I put the chickens on their backs on my lap so they are stabilized between my thighs, then find the breastbone, move over to the tissue where I know I'll not hit bone, and go in at an angle. I hold a finger on the area when pulling the needle out so it hurts less.

For injectable Tylan, you need to go intramuscular, and I think you use .3 mL. I'm not positive, though.

You can't use the Tylan powder for injections, though, so make certain you only use that for waterer treatments.

I'm so sorry they're sick! That's awful! [​IMG]

3. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Tylan 50 gets put under the skin of the breast. Not into the muscle. The dose is .5 for standards and .25 for bantams (ml). If you bought the tylan 200.....the dose would be different, but I don't know it.

I've given both the injections and orally and they seemed to work the same.
    Good luck!

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Cant you catch that too?? [​IMG] Good luck!

5. Chevis

Chevis Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Brunot
    Just an up date..... I had to put down 3/4 of my flock. Thanks for the help.

6. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

I'm so very, very sorry for this terrible event. You did the right thing. It's nearly impossible to have this and not have a chronic problem, never have the ability to bring in new birds, never be able to sell any eggs...what a nightmare.

I'm so sorry, and I'll help you rebuild when you're all cleaned up. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by