1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Should 2 week old ducklings be fine with 2 day olds? Or should i keep them separate?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Tlammy, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Tlammy

Tlammy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    London, OH
    If so, how do i ween them back together? Please and thanks! :3

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    To be cautious, I would keep them separated by some light temporary fence. You see how fast they grow - I would worry about the littles getting stepped on.

Reintroductions take place when they are close to the same size, and if they have been side by side may not be such a big deal. Supervised time together, everybody gets treats, and when they seem fine, let them together unsupervised for a bit, check, and go from there.

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Yep, i did integrate two buffs with two scovies. The scovie were a premature hatch, and the buffs i had bought.. about 1wk + apart... it did work but one has to be cautious and be prepared to remove.

What breeds?

4. CAjerseychick

CAjerseychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012
    Northern California!
    Not sure about 2 week olds but we just put in 1 day olds (3) with two 1 week olds we got last week (we wanted Swedes and they were the last 2 at TSC).... So far so good... I know the new ones are day olds cause they just arrived this AM from the PO ( I have been calling TSC all week checking on when the ducklings will come in)...
    And they are in with 2.5 week old chicks! So far so good except the water has to be changed daily...

Its funny but maybe cause they are so fuzzy and soft the chicks like to snuggle in with them...

5. Tlammy

Tlammy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    London, OH
    Well then what about 1 week old? I have 1 week old Cayugas with 2 day old khaki cambells and Rouens.

6. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    I think you could try it, but be ready to intervene. Bcz KCs are smaller birds, you don't want them getting squished. I want to say I have put ducklings together with the oldests about 7 days old.

7. CAjerseychick

CAjerseychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012
    Northern California!
    Def watch the smallest ones, but should be fine (I couldnt believe the 2 week old chicks didnt bat an eye at dayold ducklings) and the week old ducklings didnt bat an eye at the day olds, but they are the same breed though- Swedish....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by