should a broody goose look so rough?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by spish, Apr 6, 2011.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    i have a broody goose whos on around day 22 of sitting, but for the past few days shes began to look really rough and dirty. her eyes look sunken as does her face (its not a normal roundish plump shape any more) i know sitting takes a lot out of poultry but she looks terrible. when she comes out for food shes not her normal self either, she seems slow and tired (but still fiercly aggressive if approached)

im not sure what to do...shes close to the hatching day but if shes sick and prefer to bring her inside and treat her........

2. queenbeezz

queenbeezz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Orlando
    My girl was like that. Feathers were rough from plucking to line the nest, she lost weight, was generally dirty and disheveled. Her feet were even bleached out from lack of sun. She swam funny too like her joints were stiff. Mean as a snake.

Within a couple weeks she was fine, really had me worrued for a while.

3. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:DON'T DO THAT She might up and die on you seperting her from her nest! It is the most important thing in her life right now and is actually worth more to her than her life. Yes she will look very rough but as the weather warms wil be off the nest more and start to improve as she has more time to eat or even take a bath if her eggs stay warm enough so she has time. Even after she hatches she will be weak and poorly but in a month should be her old self again. I forgot to add that she will molt after hatching if the weather will allow it. Good time to get it out of the way since she will be grounded with the goslings anyway.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  4. queenbeezz

queenbeezz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Orlando
    Yes, you are right about the molt. I had forgotten that my yard looked like someone had apillow fight just after the last hatchings!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by