Should any of them be laying yet?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sunnyqorgi, Aug 30, 2016.

1. sunnyqorgi

sunnyqorgi Just Hatched

Aug 29, 2016
    Portland, OR
    I have four pullets at the moment that I showed in my county fair for my FFA project winning champion showmanship and reserve best of show for my Delaware. Very proud!!! :) I bought them around May 13th and they were already about a week or so old, I believe they were all hatched on May 4th. I have a Delaware, a Sicillian BC, a Buff Brahma and a speckled Sussex bantam or spangled OEG I'm unsure I'll probably ask in a breed thread. They're still trying to sleep in the nesting boxes though they know how to roost and have previously on what they have in the coop right now. So my questions are.

Are they still too young to lay possibly and how much longer should I wait until I should be 'concerned'?
    And will them sleeping in the boxes stop them from laying and is there any way to get them to stop doing this?

They get treats and food and fresh water with ACV as well as a full yard to themselves so I know it couldn't be like they're unhappy. They're super friendly and loving.

Sorry if these are really novice or dumb questions, this is my first time raising chickens. I used to raise coturnix quail so I'm trying to now get into the chicken world.

2. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    About 6-8 weeks before they'll be laying

3. sunnyqorgi

sunnyqorgi Just Hatched

Aug 29, 2016
    Portland, OR
    Darn! Thanks for a quick response though! Hopefully the nest boxes won't be a problem by then.

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Nowhere near being ready to lay yet. They have another month of growing and maturing to do before they get close. And Brahmas can take well over 6 months to start laying.
    To discourage them sleeping in the nest boxes, you need to be sure that the roosts are about a foot higher than the nests. Sleeping in the nest boxes leads to very poo covered eggs in the morning. Gross!

1 person likes this.
  5. waddles99

waddles99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2013
    NJ
    They wont be laying for at least another month or two....I don't know how anyone can win at showmanship without knowing a simple fact such as that....

6. sunnyqorgi

sunnyqorgi Just Hatched

Aug 29, 2016
    Portland, OR
    @waddles99 I'm still in highschool, I was in a FFA novice class... The competition wasn't too hard to beat lol. As many people say, everyone starts somewhere. I just got lucky and showed well and was knowledgeable on what she asked. I was simply looking to more experienced people for extra insight! Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  7. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    There is a search bar on every screen. It's not difficult to find the info, you just have to go and look.

8. sunnyqorgi

sunnyqorgi Just Hatched

Aug 29, 2016
    Portland, OR
    @junebuggena thanks for the help btw, and yep I could've. Though it also doesn't hurt to want to talk to people about it and get a specific answer for my situation lol!

1 person likes this.
  9. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    But looking for the info yourself helps you remember it much better. Sure we could just tell you the answers, but if you really want to learn, you'd go find it yourself. You would wade through the thousands of threads that have already been posted on the subject. And you would learn a lot more than just when to expect eggs, in the process. You would learn the why and so much more.

10. sunnyqorgi

sunnyqorgi Just Hatched

Aug 29, 2016
    Portland, OR
    That's very true now that I think of it! I'll try and remember that, I kinda just was excited to jump into the community without even looking back on what already had been answered and just got too excited to talk to others about the subject. Sorry if I seemed kind of cloudy on that fact. I was just told from early as 18 and on they commonly lay and got kinda worried I was doing something wrong for my pullets. Rushing for answers!
    As a very new showman of chickens (I raised and showed lambs for a long time and quail for a few years) I really want to get better and learn things and try and be the best I can. I've seen so many knowledgable and friendly people here that I just kinda get excited to hear from everyone on how I can better myself for my chickens. Sorry, hope I didn't waste your time then! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by