Should be a blue Ameraucana but almost looks like a lavender...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by AHappychick, Jan 2, 2010.

1. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    what do you experts think? While taking pics of some of my chicks today I noticed this one I am figuring a light blue I guess but it sort of looks lavender to me. it also was always more yellow than the others as you can see in pics.

[​IMG]

here it is with the others, they look more blue to me and are not one solid color like this one is

[​IMG]

by itself

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  2. silkiechick05

silkiechick05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    North Texas
    I don't know but he is cute!

[​IMG]

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Not a true blue, I would call it lavender.

4. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    Strange the father is a black roo from pips&peeps and the mother either my older splash or blue pullets very strange. I have hatched out at least 15 of these now and this is the first one with this coloring. Might have to keep it [​IMG]

father

[​IMG]

one of these 2 are the mom

[​IMG]

5. cottagegarden

cottagegarden Eggistentialist

Oct 2, 2008
    SE PA
    I am going by the third pic down..while the feather color does look like a Lav the feather shafting looks blue in that pic. Lavender should have white shafts, splash/blue will have blue.
    Unless you have other Amer hens that are Lavs or split for Lav (Lisa does not have Lavs) and if it is your new Roo from Jean and he was split it will still not be a visual yet(unless you have a split) It is probably a really light blue. Maybe even a darker splash. I have gotten some of those. They are beautiful, and different but not really laced well so not what you think of when you are trying for a good blue. I will go dig up a pic and edit it in...

this is a splash that is even colored(forgive her wet face, playing in the puddles)
    [​IMG]

this is a really light blue
    [​IMG]

6. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    Quote:Thats what I was figuring.

7. silkiechick05

silkiechick05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    North Texas
    Might have to keep it [​IMG]

Or you could give it to me...

[​IMG]

8. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    I guess he isn't really old enough to compare to the lav roo you got from me? Then again, going by the feather shafts is pretty easy [​IMG] very neat!

9. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    Quote:yes I did and the color is very similar but the shaft is the wrong color I think. just a very pretty light blue

10. JamesA

JamesA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Cedartown Georgia
    I believe it is a light blue.If it has lacing it is blue.Self blue (Lavender) does not have lacing when fully feathered out. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by