Should be roosting instead of working!!!

It's Big-D

Hatching
9 Years
May 21, 2010
Unity, NH
OK so it's now 10:00pm, I have to pick up 6 pullets tomorrow morning at 7:30 at the local feed store, and I have NO COOP. Actually I did knock together a platform and some walls last night, finished about 3:00 am. I think I am in for another late one tonight. Is anyone else ever behind the 8 ball or is it just me lol?

Hello to everyone by the way. I'm new here, this is my first time dealing with chickens since I was attacked by a roo when I was a kid (looked like a dragon to me, or a devil chicken lol)

This is an awesome site, it has helped me a ton with even deciding to get chickens. Thanks in advance for all the questions I might end up asking.

Well if I don't get to work the coop will never get done lol. Procrastinate now, don't put if off
wink.png

Thanks happyhensny!! My Aunt and Uncle have farm in Russell, NY. I'm not sure if that's anywhere near you.

So I have the box basically done. Any framing that is left I'll do on the fly when I figure out where/what size windows I want. Worked with the truss design tonight. I've never tried building one before. The birdmouth design seems pretty easy though. I'll try to get some pics up soon. I appreciate any feedback on the coop. It will look familiar to some of the designs on the coop page, thanks BYC members for inspiration!!!

Well I am calling it a night for now. 20 minute drive home, 4 hours of sleep, get up and throw something together to house chickens until coop is finished, drive an hour (round trip) to get pullets, work my tail off to finish coop by nightfall (hopefully).

These eggs had better be good!!!! lol
big_smile.png

Thanks KKatknap!!!

Last night I felt guilty about leaving so I took about 2 and a half hours and knocked together a temporary coop out of shipping materials at the shop. It actually is a cute little bugger!!! I planned on demo-ing it after and burning it or something but I think it will be useful for somebody.

So I left the shop at 5:20 am and headed home, a shower and a cat nap later I was up at the feed store picking up my six ladies!!! Super excited and had a blast with them today. The chickens are way quieter than I expected them to be, and they were prettier than the pictures I had seen of this breed.

I haven't had a lot of ambition the rest of the day, I've been plugging along but haven't really accomplished what I would have liked. I'm going to work on the coop a bit more tonight and then bring it out to my house tomorrow and really try to get a lot of it done then. I'll try to get some pics up soon.

I decided to move the nesting boxes to the outside of the coop, I figure it will give the girls an extra 16" inside and makes the layout much easier.

I'll try to post pics of the coop and temporary coop soon. And I have to get some pictures of my girls. The guy at the feed store said they had some eggs in with the chickens when they arrived so I don't think it will be too long!!

Is there any preferance for using organic feed versus blue seal? I wasn't sure.

Back
Top Bottom