Should chickens be dewormed once or twice a year?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by HappyHens2018, Mar 16, 2018.

1. HappyHens2018

HappyHens2018 In the Brooder

Jan 10, 2018
    I heard some chicken owners deworm their flock before spring. Would like to hear everyone thoughts on this. :D

2. JaeG

JaeG Crossing the Road

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    Some people do regularly worm, but others won't unless they know that their birds are carrying a worm load. There is the worry that the parasites will start to build resistance to wormers so they should only be used when necessary. You can get a fecal float done at the vets to reveal whether there is a problem or not.

Folly's place, aart and Birdinhand like this.
  3. I prefer to worm 4 times a year, using a different wormier each time.

However the less time that your hens free range on ground where hens have free ranged before the fewer worms and other internal parasites your hens will pick up.

4. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

I have never deformed a Chicken ever. If your Coop and Run is clean they never usually suffer worm over loads.
    Best wishes...

FamilyFarm12 and imnukensc like this.
  5. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Some flocks will have more problems than others; there's no one answer for everyone. Having fecals run at the veterinarian's is the only reliable way to ID intestinal parasites, and if found, especially in large numbers, worming can be indicated.
    No one product kills every parasite, so knowing what's there is necessary to be effective.
    Mary

6. CCUK

CCUK Free Flying

Jan 21, 2018
    North Notts, UK
    My Coop
    I worm mine twice a year as part of routine care. I worm in March and September. It works for me (I don't worm myself....Maybe I should?!) and my hens don't have a problem.

7. Just an FYI, research has shown the rotational deworming actually helps create resistant worms and is no longer recommended.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: