Should City Chicken Owners share a rooster?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LeghornGuy, Dec 27, 2007.

1. LeghornGuy

LeghornGuy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2007
    New Orleans
    I live in the city and I have a flock of 14 hens and one rooster.
    I met a lady in the neighborhood and she also has chickens and a great vegetable garden too. She has 6 hens.
    She made a comment about borrowing my rooster for a day. She said, "my neighbors would not like a rooster crowing in the morning." "However, I would like to have my hens have a rooster around for a day."
    I also posted early this week concerning my rooster and his ability to mate all my hens.
    I am glad to meet another city chicken owner.
    I also gave her his website. However, I dont want to risk my rooster's health. Her yard and coop area is clean and she lets her hens free range in her yard.
    Should I let her borrow my rooster for a visit?
    Would my rooster be in jeopardy of getting ill?
    Your comments are welcomed.
    I have visited other sites and citychicken.com too.
    I chatted with one person online and they do stud out their rooster.
    It seems odd but it is something I am considering.

2. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    It could well be very stressful for the roo and for the hens at her place. Day 1 (at least) with a newcomer is usually not pretty, to say the least (jockeying for position, everyone nervous...). I wouldn't do it.

Your roo and her hens would all be in jeopardy of getting ill - probably only a small chance of this happening - one that can be worth taking when a change is meant to be permanent but for one day, not worth the risk.
    JJ

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Someone could get hurt. The girls don't automatically submit to a new rooster. In fact, some may want to fight the new man in town. Then there is the illness factor, which you can't tell by looking sometimes.

4. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    I would be hesitant, but I wonder if the lady really understands what will happen when a rooster is introduced to her hens. If you do decide to go for it, I'd suggest doing it on a day when you could supervise the situation.

5. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

There's always AI...

6. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    There's always AI...

Great, I just had to go looking for the `backyard' how to...

Apparently not a dramatic improvement over the tried and true method, but it works.

Guess it depends on the breed of Roo (amount of sperm produced) and how many `roos' one would have to massage to produce an adequate amount for the flock of hens being serviced...

How they did it in Bangladesh:

http://www.pjbs.org/ijps/fin265.pdf

7. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    This would overstress your rooster and possibly introduce illness into your flock.

The only way I'd do it is for a hen to be put in quarentine for 4 weeks, then place the roo & hen together, you'd need to verify that the eggs are fertile, so it would take quite a bit of time & work.

Not worth it IMHO.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by