Should feed stores etc... even sell chicks????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cackydoodledoo, Apr 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cackydoodledoo

cackydoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Crazyville, USA
    Everytime I got to our Big R store I see people carrying out their little boxes with chicks and that's it!!! No food, no feeders/waterers, no bedding and no light!!! What are they thinking? I feel so bad for all those chicks because they are sure to be dead within days! Saw a guy today trying to buy some gargantuan waterer for a chick and the store clerk was helping him do it. I so nicely intervened and showed him exactly what he needed. It just irks me that the people buying them have no clue but neither do the clerks!!!!

2. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    I bought chicks I had feed and everything already home. Some people I am sure are buying who have everything ready and know what they are doing. Its the impulse buys that I worry about.

3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Quote:Yes, thats the ones I worry about also.

4. Relheok

Relheok Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2011
    Northeast Kingdom, VT
    I was a Quasi' impulse buy who bought the full size waterer and feeders. I read up when I got home, and got everything setup correctly. Not everyone starts a hobby knowing everything. Have a little more faith in people [​IMG]

5. TinkleTurkey

TinkleTurkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Palmdale
    Most people are clueless about most things, and so it will always be.

Just like the goldfish at a pet store. The tiny tanks and bowls they push people to buy for goldfish that are not nearly big enough to successfully accomodate a goldfish for long without killing it. But there is this iconic image of a goldfish in a little round bowl and everyone's childhood memory of flushing goldie down the toilet - tsk tsk.
    But the pet industry doesnt care if your pet lives a long and healthy life. They only care that you make the purchase to begin with. If you knew how involved it is to sustain a goldfish for any significant duration, you probably wouldn't make the investment to start.

So it goes.

6. love-my-wolves

love-my-wolves Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Front Royal, VA
    I understand what you are saying, but I think the more pressing question should be "shouldn't feed stores hire knowledgeable employees when selling chicks". That is the biggest problem, in my opinion. I have, in fact, left tractor supply twice with my little box of peeping chicks, with nothing else. Why? Because I already have the supplies at home. Not that I don't get what you mean, but many times there are people out there that are like me, and already have the knowledge and supplies. Of course, I too have seen many buy chicks without a clue of what to do. I think it should be manditory at least to require every chick purchase get an instruction paper that includes a list of necessary materials that outline what they need and what to expect. And someone should be on hand that knows how to raise chicks to give advise to the newbies. I mean, if I go in to a lawnmower shop, they help me buy the right one. If I go into Lowe's, I expect someone to help me pick out materials to run electrical to my shed. Why should it be any different when selling a live animal?

7. grasjm36

grasjm36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    Hagerman, ID
    I can't stand the fact that the feed stores have all these beautiful baby chicks in the wide open for all the children to greedily grab as their parents just look away. I was at one yesterday for their 'chick day' (straight run .50) and was scanning the little ones for something unique, when there was a pretty little baby with a broken toe. It's pretty obvious how some of these injuries occur. Another thought that ran through my mind was bio-security. If people are handling these chicks all day, most likely have a farm their selves, I'm sure there must be transfers of things we wouldn't want to bring home to our farms. [​IMG]

8. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    TSC's do provide "How To Care For Your Chick" pamphlets. And the instructions are on the carry home boxes. I doubt anyone reads them, which is in no way TSC's fault.
    I, too, walk out without supplies and chicks in boxes quite often. You don't know what someone has at home...

9. cackydoodledoo

cackydoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Crazyville, USA
    I understand that some people have all the stuff at home. I am not profiling by any means but the majority of the people I saw were obviously not those people. I don' t think the girl with the Prada and Gucci is buying them cuz she knows what she is doing. She's buying them because they are cute. Little does she realize it grows into a big bird that poops a lot!!!! You would just have to see the people yourselves to fully understand!

I absolutely agree that they should hire people that are more educated in chickens!! They should also have information readily available to people that informs them of all the stuff they will need and how to care for them!

10. WalkerH

WalkerH Chillin' With My Peeps

I feel like just because she has Prada and Gucci means nothing. Pretty much you are just stereotyping people. I have designer bags and clothing, but quite competent enough to raise a flock of chickens. When I buy only chicks and nothing else it is because I have everything at home.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by