should have chicks by know should i candle?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ma hen, Oct 15, 2009.

1. ma hen

ma hen Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2009
    N.H.
    hello i candled my eggs on day 18 saw movement. well they should have hatched yesterday, well today is day 22 they have been in my incubator. what should i do? should i candle them?

thanks

2. cracking up

cracking up Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    Hi

It's a tough call. Have you opened the incubator at all? Has the temp and humidity been good? Some people would be patient - it's tough for me - I would snatch one out and tap it to see if it peeps. What kind of eggs are they? Some take a little longer than others.

3. ma hen

May 30, 2009
    N.H.
    yes the temp has drop and gone up,

4. cracking up

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    What kind of chickens are they?

5. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    I dont open the bator until day 24, then i leave the un hatched eggs in there for another couple of days. Sometimes, they take a little longer than 21 days to hatch. Good luck.

6. ma hen

May 30, 2009
    N.H.
    thank you both, they are silkie eggs

7. cracking up

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    I don't know much about silkie eggs. Maybe someone else will know if they run late. Good luck with them.

8. thecochincoop

thecochincoop Chillin' With My Peeps

I had some problems with my eggs. I have no problem opening up the incubator and candling. You will be able to see the beak trying to poke out into the air sac. Try pecking on the egg and peeping at it to wake it up and you should be able to see some kind of movement.

9. cracking up

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    Let us know how it goes.

10. ma hen

May 30, 2009
    N.H.
    I checked on them they were all dead, i just cried on my husband!!! they were all alive on Sunday, my incubator had fluctuations but this has happened before and my hatch has never done this!!! my young sons came over and gave me a big hug and gave me a kiss they wished they could do something for me, that melted my heart. i need to get a hova bator they are so expensive, but i guess it will be worth it in the end, but i will not be buying eggs for awhile,thank you all for your help, just keep me in your prayers tonight, i am so crushed,plus tired from extra hours from work ,

god bless

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by