1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

SHOULD HE STAY OR SHOULD HE GO?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 16 paws, Jan 4, 2014.

1. 16 paws

16 paws Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello,
    I have a rooster named Trousers. About 10 months old. He is very rough mating with his girls. He has drawn blood on one of the girls, (she has been molting also) and her neck has been pretty badly torn up. Enough so that I had to isolate her because the other hens started picking on her also. He tried to be aggressive with my dh and I but we put a stop to that by scaring him a few times with a broom(never hit him) my dh would hold him down for a few minutes in front of his girls. Now he is not aggressive toward us but we are wondering if we need to get rid of him for being mean to his girls. We would just take him back to the feed store where we got him as a baby chick.
    My question is is there any way to train them to mate nicely?
    Thanks for your thoughts...[​IMG]
    This is the hen Daisy Mae that he hurt.[​IMG]
    This is Trousers

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    geez, poor thing. the only time i see roos acting like that is when they first start mating
    . they calm down after a month or so in my flock. its your call of course but i wouldnt let my roo do that to the hens. he is very nice roo though. at the least, you can blunt his spurs down. does he do that to the other hens?

3. 16 paws

16 paws Chillin' With My Peeps

No he hasnt drawn blood on the other hens but he is very rough and pins them down hard to mate with SOME of them.He doesnt bother my polish girl or my bantam girls. There is only 2 that I have seen him be mean to, by that I mean chasing them until he catches them even if they run like heck to get away from him and then grabbing the neck feathers with his beak to hold them down. I thought he was just going to do that in the beginning because I had read that at first they are rough. But he is not getting any better yet. I hate to get rid of him but I cant have my girls hurt either.
    thanks
    Marie

4. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i culled one of my game bantams for that. i know its their way but you can have a more gentle roo. especially one that wont attack you. good luck on your decision. kinda sounds like you already have.

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I'd invite him to dinner.

6. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by