LeghornGuy

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jul 18, 2007
New Orleans
I was given two RIR pullets.
My 15 leghorns hens were mean to them.
It seems like the RIR are younger.
The Pecking order will be messed up if I let them free range.
So I have the two hens in a separate cage.
I have one leghorn rooster.
Also...
Someone rescued a gamecock rooster. (The comb has been cut).
The lady that rescued the gamecock offered it to me. I dont want aggressive chickens.

My leghorns are hyper but not aggressive.
Should I add him to my flock?
Should I add him to the two RIR hens?
Your comments are welcome.

Hmmmm, if he was used for fighting..I would not take a chance putting him in the flock. Im glad she rescued him. Poor guy. He is destined to live a life of solitude. You might try putting him next to the 2 rir hens...see how he reacts.

Toss them all together - after a quarantine period. They will sort things out. Gamebirds dont fight constantly, either. If there is enough room and places to duck into, that will pass and everyone will settle down. I know gamers who have mixed flocks and they dont have a constant bloodbath.

Thanks for the advice.
I separated the gamecock for three days.
I was surprised that the is very tame and he is used to being handled. I placed him in the cage with the RIR hens. They are calm and gentle.
However my leghorns are very active and hyper
Anyway,am I am glad to provide a home for a rescued gamecock.

I was surprised that he is very tame and he is used to being handled.

From what I’ve been told by folks who raise them, you’ll find this to be typical with gamies. The fighting we decry erupts when they are forced into it in close confinement within a ring. Even then, most males would rather duck and dodge when facing a superior cock, if given a chance. Only select males are found worthy in the ring to do battle. Chances are good you have him because he wasn’t aggressive enough.

I placed him in the cage with the RIR hens. They are calm and gentle.

HE probably thinks he's gone to heaven!
I’m glad to hear your gamie gets a new lease and someone gains a new appreciation for his kind. Believe it or not, gamecocks are not horrid, mutated monsters willing to battle Satan himself. In general they make strong, vigorous additions to a group.
But we better be careful, we’re treadin' on a taboo topic here. Let’s end it now agreeably.

However my leghorns are very active and hyper.

You aren’t saying anything we haven’t heard. I haven't had much experience with but a few of the medium meds, but I can say that you described them to a tee. Yeah, they lay lots of white eggs. But out in the yard, I’ll take a few less brown eggs from a BR or NHR I can live with, anyday!​

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom