Should I add anything to the water? New chicks arriving tomorrow/Wednesday morning.

What do you add to the water of your newly arrived chicks (first 1-3 days)?

• Apple cider vinegar

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sav-A-Chick Electrolyte and Vitamin

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Sav-A-Chick Probiotic

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Nutri-Drench

• Combination

• Other

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Absolutely nothing

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters

Branch Chickens

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 17, 2014
China, Maine
I've read so much...too much.
Should I add anything to the water for these new chicks or should I play the wait and see game? What did/do you do?
I have everything on hand, should the need arise.

I only add a tiny bit of sugar for their first water after they arrive from the hatchery if I suspect that their transportation was not gentle. After the first day all you need to do is ensure you clean their waterer and food dish daily and clean off any poop stuck to their butts with warm water. I recently had one chick with a pasty bum that I didn't catch early enough and the poop ended up getting backed up inside her and she was struggling to poop. Apple cider vinegar in the water helps to clear that up if it gets to that point but she was able to clear her vent without anything other than a bum cleaning.

Good Luck!

I use sav-a-chick electrolyte for their first drink. I got some bantams today that were a bit lethargic but perked right up when I put that water in. Not sure what everyone else uses, but electrolytes work for me!

bump
bun.gif

Back
Top Bottom