Should I add this egg?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Dawn419, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    This is one of eight Silver Spangled Hamburg hatching eggs that arrived yesterday.

[​IMG]

Is this a crack or a blemish? I felt along the area in question, and it doesn't feel like a crack.

Should I candle it before I put it in the bator at noon or just not add it at all?

Thanks!

Dawn

2. unionwirewoman

unionwirewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Kalispell , MT
    I have never incubated before , but one of my girls lays an egg that has the same markings on it . So far as i can tell it's not a crack . Hopefully someone else will come along with some better insight for you ![​IMG]

3. Dawn419

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Thanks for your reply, uww! Fear factor down to 50 %...[​IMG]

Dawn

4. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    I have seen hens lay eggs like that, it's like it cracked during development and was 'repaired' before it was laid. I don't how factual my theory is but if it were me, I'd try it as long as it's not seeping. My vote is try it. [​IMG]

5. Dawn419

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Thanks for you're reply, Angie! [​IMG]

Will add it in with the others. I lucked up and had two seperate boxes of eggs arrive early yesterday, so I will incubate them together, along with 3 of our own Silky eggs.

I showed the egg in question to hubby and had him feel along the suspect area, he didn't feel a crack either. He's a wood worker, so I trust his fingers. Um, that reads kinda funny...[​IMG]

Dawn

6. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    If you are in doubt, it would not hurt to use some Elmers glue on the spot. Some use Parifin Wax as well. They should hatch fine. Keep an eye on them though.

7. Dawn419

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Thanks for your reply, Jaynie. Will try a little Elmers Glue.

Dawn

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

It looks like a crack to me. If you decide to put it in I'd watch it very carefully for signs of seepege. Any eggs I've ever had like that the darker area along the crack lines are where there is already seepege starting.

9. Dawn419

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Thanks Katy! I will probably add the egg, at this point, but will make sure it is placed so that I can keep a good eye on it. Would hate to mess up the hatch due to one bad egg.

Dawn

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

If you try and patch it, I'd use parrafin or melted crayon, not Elmer's glue. The moisture in the incubator will keep the glue from setting up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by