Should i add water in the incubator or not in my case?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by egrif, Mar 21, 2016.

1. egrif

egrif Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2016
    Hi, I am new to incubation. I did a lot of researches and all till now is going great, in terms of temperature. My issue is that we are now in march. and where I live has almost 45-50% humidity. so humidity reader in my DIY incubator is reading 50%, which I think is good for a range during the first 18 days of incubation. The big question is: Since the humidity reader is showing 50% humidity level (Humidity reader is faultless tested with another one), Can I not add water for the incubator? will the embryo get stuck to the shell if it is only getting humid from the atmosphere I live in? Thank you in advance.

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    For the first 17 days, if that is truely how high it is w/o water, I certainly wouldn't add water until lockdown when you need it 65%+
    As long as my humidity stays above 25% I run dry. I prefer 30% and unless I am hatching fall/winter I usually achieve that dry. I would candle at days 7 and 14 and makes sure that the air cells are loosing enough moisture, if not you may want to try to draw more moisture out with either uncooked rice or unpopped popcorn. I've seen people say either one or the other has worked and I've seen people say neither worked, but it'd be worth a try.

3. egrif

egrif Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2016
    thank you Amy for ur reply. Yes I was planning to candle my eggs on day 7. So no water will be added in my case until day 18. Do you think I should bring my humidity low as to 40-45%? Thank very again, appreciate it.

4. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I am assuming you have a table top incubator and not a cabinet incubator? If yes and you can get it lower I would, but I'm not comfortable with humidity up around 45%. Or you could run it where it's at and check the air cells and then if they aren't growing lower it after day 7.

5. egrif

egrif Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2016
    Will do. Will let you know the results at day 7. [​IMG]..... By the way... I tried Rice, it dies work but for only 5 minutes, cause it is getting warmer and releasing the humidity [​IMG].... But it can be manipulated in a way, will figure it out. Thank you Amy, ur my incubator hero [​IMG]

6. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    LOL Awe shucks.... Good luck!

7. egrif

egrif Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2016
    Amy, you recognized before something about table or closet.... Didnt get it well. My incubator is handmade and i placed it in the closet. What that what u was refering to?

8. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    They make these bigger "cabinet" incubators. Usually they have like three trays for incubating and hatching. Usually they run better at a higher humidity. The table tops are your smaller bators that can sit on the table, like The Little Giants, Hovabators, Brinseas, ect. The styo bators especially work better (on the average) with a lower humidity. I would think your DIY is probably table top size?

9. egrif

egrif Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2016
    Yes my incubator is not the cabinet. It is made of lastic. I candle today the eggs (day 2) the air sac is found. It is small i think it will enlarge with days.

10. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    The first 7 days it's real small. I don't even worry until the period between 7 and 14 days. That's when I really concentrate on the air cells.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by