Should I Adopt a Rooster?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by alyssa558, Sep 21, 2009.

1. alyssa558

alyssa558 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    Durham, NC
    I have 11 girls, 11 different breeds. I recently lost my americauna and am considering replacing her. So, I just called my local animal shelter and they just got five roosters in and may not even try to adopt them. What should I do? Of course, I want to save a chicken but I am very worried that my girls will be unhappy if I get the rooster. I am torn! I have read that hens are happier with a rooster but it will definitely be an upheaval in their current social structure.

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

2. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    I love my roosters. They are great for any flock. Go save a rooster!!!!!

3. alyssa558

Jun 19, 2008
    Durham, NC
    I have to convince my husband...he is very anti-rooster (he thinks it will make the girls sad).

4. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Tell your husband that a rooster will make the girls happy in so many ways. [​IMG]

5. raiderbabe239

raiderbabe239 ♥ Hatchaholic ♥

Jun 19, 2009
    Fort Myers, Fl
    deffinaley save one or two of those poor roos! i love my roos they are the sweetest out of all of my chickens

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Er, these would not be roosters bred for illegal activities on which people bet, would they? If they are, most shelters won't adopt them out and even if they did you would want to think seriously about whether you want one.

If they are good tempered and HEALTHY (the latter is fairly unlikely if they've gone to animal control), then that's different.

Remember to quarantine for a month, and even then, there are some diseases that can slip in inside an apparently-healthy chicken and become a permanent part of your flock. So it is something to do with eyes open, and full forethought.

GOod luck, have fun,

Pat

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  7. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:If they're gamefowl, it would be best only get one.. Otherwise keep them separate where they can't see each other or at least can't get close. As for them not being adopted out because of it is stupid, they're absolutely adoptable and i know being raised around them.. They'll probably be euthanized though because of their nature...

8. alyssa558

Jun 19, 2008
    Durham, NC
    I spoke to the shelter and I am pretty sure they will give me one, if that means not having to euthanize it. The girl I spoke to is also considering adopting one and she works there.

I would definitely quarantine for a month.

9. alyssa558

Jun 19, 2008
    Durham, NC
    Oh, the girl at the shelter said they were black and green and big. She didn't know the breed. I would only get one.

10. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I would take some time to consider the implications of getting a rooster. Roosters can be a great asset to a flock, but they can also be terribly detrimental to a flock. Choose your bird carefully if you decide that is the way you want to go.

I, myself, have been agonizing for years over whether to allow roos in my flock. I had horrible experiences with roosters as a girl and have never fully gotten over it. My current hens have been together without a roo for too long to consider adding one at this point, but I am getting more birds in the spring, so...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by