Should I adopt this new chicken?!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MyISAbrownhens, Nov 19, 2017.

1. MyISAbrownhens

MyISAbrownhens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2017
    Virginia
    I already have five adult hens who are all siblings. Recently, the people at the barn where I board my horse just rescued a small chicken from s neighbor who moved. It is a tiny white bantam chicken but I can not tell the gender. They now realized they can't keep the chicken because it keep pooing on the horse tack so they need a place to keep it. Would it be okay for me to keep this tiny little Bantam chicken with my five large ISA brown hens or would they pick on the little one too much. We have a large run but they also don't free range.

pasuit and Brahma Chicken5000 like this.
  2. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

No....Chickens carry disease and transfer of disease will happen ...Leave it and do not bring it home..
    Enjoy your own Birds....

3. WildCHILD400

WildCHILD400 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2017
    While Isa browns are very nice I have one myself, disease is a worry and my wyandottes bully my little Cochin Frizzle bantam. I want to adopt one from my friends barn badly too but have nowhere to keep it. Your hearts in the right place tho

4. Brahma Chicken5000

Brahma Chicken5000 Overrun With Chickens

Sep 26, 2017
    Highland Park, New Jersey
    Disease is an issue. I have also read mixed reviews on keeping a mixed flock of largefowl chickens and bantams.

5. Sublight

Sublight Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2016
    This right here. Its not worth possibly loosing your flock, OR EVEN WORSE, getting something that you almost cant get rid of.

6. Brahma Chicken5000

Brahma Chicken5000 Overrun With Chickens

Sep 26, 2017
    Highland Park, New Jersey
    Couldn’t she quarantine the bantam if she has the space? Just wondering as I find it hard to resist chickens. :love

7. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Keeping your existing birds healthy is the first priority, and random source chickens are possibly safe, or could cause your birds to all sicken and die. I would never risk it!
    This poor little bird needs a home, and friends, but have it be somewhere else.
    Signs up at the feed stores, shelters, etc, may find someone. It's tough, but keep your birds safe. Mary

8. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Yes....one poor Chicken is not worth the health of your flock...I take in rescue Ducks because disease is not transferred ...Never would I bring in a Chicken...Not ever...:th

9. Sublight

Sublight Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2016
    I have a mixed flock. My silkies are defiantly at the bottom of the pecking order, but they get along fine.

I would beg this person to avoid new chickens like this. I wont even buy chickens from breeders anymore. That's why I got 2 silkies. I will buy new eggs, and let mother nature incubate them, or just hatch from my own flock.

10. Stayc

Stayc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2017
    Keysville Virginia
    I never knew you shouldn't do such a thing! I always thought quarantine would be the answer to adding to the flock. So glad i read this post! Ty all!!

Sublight, Oolala, pasuit and 2 others like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by