Should I always have a constant supply of food for my 3wk old chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by xrayjwd, Oct 19, 2011.

1. xrayjwd

xrayjwd Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2011
    I am very new to the chicken word. Just built my coop and have many questions? Do they have to have a heat source. I live in Phx, Az and the climate if very mild now.

2. VI KING RANCH

VI KING RANCH Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Campbell River
    I always have food available to my chickens from the day they hatch.

3. xrayjwd

Oct 19, 2011
    We are an urban chicken family that has had chickens for about 3wks. Dont really know what kind cause they where a bday gift for my 5yr old. We have Omellett, Hawk, cutie, and candy. so far so good!

4. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] At 3 weeks they should be kept at 80-85 degrees and decrease by 5 degrees per week until they are fully feathered at 5-6 weeks. Yes they should always have chick starter available, medicated or not. Have fun!

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Feed always. Heat, if necessary. Two week old chicks need a steady 80-85F. Any cooler and you risk them piling on each other. They'd give you a warning, though. They'd peep loudly and incessantly. [​IMG]

6. xrayjwd

Oct 19, 2011
    Thanks Viking

7. xrayjwd

Oct 19, 2011
    wow love this site. The quick response if amazing. Thanks to All!

8. xrayjwd

Oct 19, 2011
    After they have all there feathers is ok to not have a heat source?

9. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Welcome to the BYC [​IMG]

Food and water is a must in over supply. Babies eat a ton. Keep up the heat until fully feathered 6 weeks or so. Heat source based on 5* per week starting at week 1 90* week 2 85* and so on. Good luck and congrats.

10. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:How cold does it get at night in Phoenix? It is so dry I doubt that cold will be a problem for you. They need good ventilation to keep the humidity down but with just 4 chickens(same as me) they won't create a lot of their own humidity. Just make sure they don't get any drafts blowing on them and that their ventilation is high up, not right next to them on the roost. Make any sense?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by