Should i assist hatching?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by travisbeville, Jun 5, 2016.

1. travisbeville

travisbeville Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2015
    Should i assist these call ducklings out...im afraid the membrane has dried out

2. travisbeville

Sep 7, 2015
    [​IMG]

Not much progress in the last several hours just sticking the beak out and chirping less

3. robdog

robdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Slowly start peeling off the membrane in a circle like chicken would naturally do. If you see blood stop quickly and put back in incuabtor and raise humidity with a spray bottle right away..

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    When did it first pip?

5. travisbeville

Sep 7, 2015
    2 first pip out last night....i helped the first out and she is trying to walk around...when do the become able to walk and not be flopping around

6. robdog

Usually after the first day if not then maybe check for splayed legs if still hopping around. After than it should be good. I usually help many chicks with assisted hatching because I enjoy opening my incubator often to take out chicks, which ends up with dried up membranes.

7. travisbeville

Sep 7, 2015
    Ok so i had to help one out of the shell and one came out on her own....how long should i wait to move them to a brooder and try and give them food and water?

8. robdog

Your fine to just leave them in there for the next 24 hours if you want but bear minimum you have to wait until they dry themselves out in the incubator, and let them get fluffy. When you have the chance after that take them out quickly and use something such as a spray bottle to fastly increase humidity in the incubator spray on the walls of the incubator,... not directly on the eggs.

9. travisbeville

Sep 7, 2015
    Ok one of the other eggs was liquid inside so i threw it out and the other doesnt look promising, should i just count it out as well and focus on the two that have hatched? They are up and trying to not look spastic

10. robdog

Is this day 21 for you?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by