Should I assist more, or keep waiting?

hunterdan97

Hatching
Mar 28, 2017
I had 3 eggs due March 26th. All 3 externally pipped the night of the 26th. No real activity all day yesterday. On one, a pekin egg, you could see a dark shadow forming out from the pip & the duckling was actively chirping all day. This morning - still no progress - 2 are actively moving & chirping, 1 I candled & the pip is below the air hole...does not appear to be an internal pip or movement at this point. Should I be assisting the 2 and is the 3rd one dead?

Update - so given that it had been ~48h since they pipped, I assisted the 2 using the method I read on another post...basically zipped the outer shell for them & moistened the membrane as I went. Did that last night - 1 was fully hatched this morning & is doing very well. The 2nd still wasn't hatched this morning, so before I left for work I removed some more of the outer shell & moistened the membrane again. Husband is at home so hopefully at some point it will get out today...

The 3rd I have candled, cannot see movement, still no internal pip, & external pip (below the air sac) has not gotten any bigger. Should I leave in the incubator? or better to take out given that I have 3 others that aren't ready to hatch yet.

Update - so given that it had been ~48h since they pipped, I assisted the 2 using the method I read on another post...basically zipped the outer shell for them & moistened the membrane as I went.  Did that last night - 1 was fully hatched this morning & is doing very well.  The 2nd still wasn't hatched this morning, so before I left for work I removed some more of the outer shell & moistened the membrane again.  Husband is at home so hopefully at some point it will get out today...

The 3rd I have candled, cannot see movement, still no internal pip, & external pip (below the air sac) has not gotten any bigger.  Should I leave in the incubator? or better to take out given that I have 3 others that aren't ready to hatch yet.

If I had to guess (I've never hatched) I'd say that baby isn't going to hatch. But I hate to give up on them! But if nothing's happening...

I know - not sure if I should attempt to help somehow, assume its dead, or leave it be for a bit longer.

Back
Top Bottom