Should I assist more, or keep waiting?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by hunterdan97, Mar 28, 2017.

1. hunterdan97

hunterdan97 New Egg

Mar 28, 2017
    I had 3 eggs due March 26th. All 3 externally pipped the night of the 26th. No real activity all day yesterday. On one, a pekin egg, you could see a dark shadow forming out from the pip & the duckling was actively chirping all day. This morning - still no progress - 2 are actively moving & chirping, 1 I candled & the pip is below the air hole...does not appear to be an internal pip or movement at this point. Should I be assisting the 2 and is the 3rd one dead?

2. Ashleymarie529

Ashleymarie529 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2017
    Katy (Houston), TX
    Someone with hatching experience needs to step up and answer!

3. hunterdan97

hunterdan97 New Egg

Mar 28, 2017
    Update - so given that it had been ~48h since they pipped, I assisted the 2 using the method I read on another post...basically zipped the outer shell for them & moistened the membrane as I went. Did that last night - 1 was fully hatched this morning & is doing very well. The 2nd still wasn't hatched this morning, so before I left for work I removed some more of the outer shell & moistened the membrane again. Husband is at home so hopefully at some point it will get out today...

The 3rd I have candled, cannot see movement, still no internal pip, & external pip (below the air sac) has not gotten any bigger. Should I leave in the incubator? or better to take out given that I have 3 others that aren't ready to hatch yet.

4. Ashleymarie529

Feb 17, 2017
    Katy (Houston), TX

If I had to guess (I've never hatched) I'd say that baby isn't going to hatch. But I hate to give up on them! But if nothing's happening...

5. hunterdan97

hunterdan97 New Egg

Mar 28, 2017
    I know - not sure if I should attempt to help somehow, assume its dead, or leave it be for a bit longer.

6. Ashleymarie529

Feb 17, 2017
    Katy (Houston), TX
    I'd probably assist if I were you. There's nothing to lose at this point if it's not doing anything itself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by