1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Should I assist?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kwoodchuck, Mar 24, 2016.

1. kwoodchuck

kwoodchuck New Egg

Mar 24, 2016
    My first time hatching. I read the big thread here on When to Assist. But. I've got on that has the external pip hole. It's been like that for about 30 hours. There's a little bit of enlarging of the hole but nothing that looks like zipping. The chick is breathing. Opening and closing its mouth a lot. Should I help yet? Thanks!

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    30 hours is a good bit of time between pip and zip. You would most likely be alright making the hole a bit larger to get an idea of what's going on in there. If you see any signs of veins in the membrane while you're removing shell, stop and put it back in the incubator, its not ready. If all of the veins are gone, the chicks has absorbed them and should be ready to come out.

Good luck.

3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    [​IMG] I start assisting at 24 hours, removing the cap. Then I replace them and give them a chance to progress on their own before continuing the assist.

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    xs 2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by