Should I be concerned about a wet duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by KaLo, Jan 31, 2014.

1. KaLo

KaLo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2013
    North Florida
    I have 2 Blue Swede ducks. They are about 5 months old. This morning, one seems to be a lot "wetter" than the other after going in the pond. Not soaked to the bone but just not as water proof as she usually is like maybe she isn't getting enough oil on her feathers. It has been cold at night for the past week (35 F which is cold for our area). They just started laying eggs although there is one per day so not sure if it's just one of them laying or if they are both laying every other day.

My question is - could there be a problem with the wet one? Should I be adding something to their diet to encourage oil production? They free range during the day and get Dumor Poultry Layer and peas or greens at night.

I am a novice so any advice from you guys is appreciated!!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Do they get feed during the day too? sounds like only at night. I'm a stickler for feeding my flock feed all through out the day and their foraging is the supplement to that. Just starting out laying requires alot of nutrients so I'd offer some Poultry vitamins in their water a couple times a week too. Usually preening stimulates the oil gland so if she is bathing daily maybe her preen gland isn't working right for some reason. Might want to have a look at it to make sure all is well. I usually see this in my older ducks at the end of season right before molt and begin to offer extra vitamins to help them through, I'm surprised mine don't all look berangled with the weather we've been having and no water for them to bathe in. How is she other wise eating good drinking good? acting normal ?

3. KaLo

KaLo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2013
    North Florida
    I can't see anything unusual around the preen gland though it is hard to get to since her feathers are so thick right now. No swelling or strange discharge.

I leave their house door open all day and there is always Dumor in there if they want it. I don't feed them outside of the house so they will want to go in at night. They just love hanging out on the lake especially with all the visiting mallards and geese.

I don't have poultry vitamins and my feed store doesn't carry them. I do have the Poly-Vi-Sol. Would that work?

She seems normal otherwise and doesn't have any buoyancy problems. I'm just worried about the cold. Of course, I worry too much about them according to my husband -haha!

I will put some food on the bank just in case and keep an eye on her. Thank you Miss Lydia!

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Honestly I haven't ever used human[baby vitamins] on any of my flock but I know they are recc on here for certain aliments star gazing and wry neck, so if you do keep it in the water and wouldn't even know how much to give. You can order on line Nutri Drench which is what I use. You might ask your feed store if they would order for you, sometimes they will. Be sure if you use the Poly vi so it's iron free. Oh and I believe I saw Amiga post once that she was using flax seed in her feed for feather improvement I have been using it also just for over all health of my flock and layers. I benefit from it when eating their eggs, [​IMG]

5. KaLo

KaLo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2013
    North Florida
    Flax seed is a great idea! I will pick some up today. Do you do ground or whole seed? My grocery carries both. And I will order the vitamins. It's a 40 minute drive to my feed store so I only go when I absolutely have to [​IMG]

Thanks again! Stay warm!

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I use ground but I think Amiga has used both. I use 3 Tablespoons to their 2/3 full bucket of feed since you just have the 2 ducks I'd just sprinkle a tab on their feed. I'm feeding 36.
    Thanks you and you too, I was born and raised in Fl. and 36 is pretty cold when you consider the dampness. Let us know how they do on it.

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I read somewhere that whole seed stays fresher, and I can get it for less money that ground, so I keep whole in the frij and have this cool little grinder (non-electric), and I just toss seeds in there and churn them out in less than a minute. I have thirteen, so I use about three tablespoons per feeding (once or twice a day).

Get what is easiest for you. The flax seed is good for humans, too, I sometimes grind some up and put it in my yogurt. (I try to remember to remind people that if you have never eaten something before, take a little, wait a day, make sure you are not allergic)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Thanks A for clarifying. How much is a feeding? cups? buckets?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  9. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    A feeding is about 2 pounds of feed, dry.

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by