Should i be concerned about blood in poop?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickzrule, Jun 26, 2010.

1. chickzrule

chickzrule Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2010
    B.C., Canada
    Today when i was checking on the girls i see that there is a couple of droppings with thick mucousy looking blood in it. Could it just be the intestinal lining or coccidiosis( i have 6 birds from Nov and noticed nothing and just got 6 new ones 2 wks ago) ??? I also noticed that 2 ladies must have laid 2 eggs while up in their roost. 1 egg was just the yolk and the other was a soft mushy looking shell. Is this normal? I am worming them today so if it has anything to do with that i hope that takes care of itself. I have never noticed the blood before or the eggs not coming out normal. Anything to be concerned about?? t
    thxs Lisa

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Sounds like a worming may be the answer

3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Did the droppings look like any of these?

http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

If you've just wormed your birds, their droppings might look odd because of that, too. I don't have experience with that myself, though. I don't worm unless a fecal test confirms the presence of worms.

The occasional shell less or weird egg is nothing to worry about, either.

4. chickzrule

chickzrule Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2010
    B.C., Canada
    OMG! I just happened to be outside when one of the ladies let out a projectile watery poop. In the mess there were 3-4 long white live worms which looked like skinny bean sprouts. GROSS!!! To top it off one(maybe the pooper?) tried to eat them. Sure am glad i used the Piperazine to worm them if things like that come out! I noticed the poop color before i wormed them this morning. Hope worming was all they needed!! Lisa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by