Should I be concerned about my chick's size?

ladyhenrietta

In the Brooder
Aug 11, 2022
Hi all,

So I just got 9 chicks last week and they are currently 12 days old (born on July 31). Among the flock, we bought 2 Buff Orpingtons. One of the Buff Orpingtons is VERY large and probably the largest one out of all them and the other one is the smallest one out of all of them. The smallest one has not seemed to grow at all. She (hopefully it's a she?) eats and drinks a lot, is alert, and doesn't seem to have any issues but all the other chicks have grown in the last week except her. She’s physically smaller and has grown the least feathers compared to the others (although her little tail feathers are coming in). Is there a possible reason for this?

Also, whenever we take the chicks out to the grass, she likes to sit while all the the other chicks run around and try to fly and is a bit lazy/lethargic. But again, she doesn’t seem sick or exhausted - just very calm and docile compared to the others. She’s the only one that doesn’t make a fuss if she is picked up and is generally pretty quiet.

Let me know what you think!

7D91C289-3694-446F-B990-E4EC330E4638.jpeg

She’s the smaller one on the left in this picture (in comparison with the other Buff Orpington - who may or may not be a Roo)

2373FAF2-2351-4C61-85DA-D8A37032C5CA.jpeg

She is the one sitting down (she likes to do that in the grass) on the right side.

11BC170E-C8EA-427D-B9E9-873206CFA50E.jpeg

In comparison to a Blue Copper Maran chick (we also think this chick might be a Roo so who knows!)

Last edited:
I can’t say i’m an expert, but some birds just don’t thrive in the same way as others. I would watch it to make sure it doesn’t become weak or die.
I have a chicken similar to this; he hatched out smaller and grew much slower than the others, and never reached full size like any of the other roosters, he’s smaller than a few of my hens, but he does have crossbeak unlike yours. I had to keep an eye on him to make sure he was ok growing up.
You may just need to keep a closer watch over that chick to make sure it stays healthy.

I can’t say i’m an expert, but some birds just don’t thrive in the same way as others. I would watch it to make sure it doesn’t become weak or die.
I have a chicken similar to this; he hatched out smaller and grew much slower than the others, and never reached full size like any of the other roosters, he’s smaller than a few of my hens, but he does have crossbeak unlike yours. I had to keep an eye on him to make sure he was ok growing up.
You may just need to keep a closer watch over that chick to make sure it stays healthy.
Thanks for the insight! I’m hoping the chick is just smaller and develops normally. Also praying she’s a hen because we can’t keep roosters here. Not sure if you know, but would you recommend feeding her egg yolk or scrambled eggs to give her a bit more nutrition and see if that helps her grow?

Thanks for the insight! I’m hoping the chick is just smaller and develops normally. Also praying she’s a hen because we can’t keep roosters here. Not sure if you know, but would you recommend feeding her egg yolk or scrambled eggs to give her a bit more nutrition and see if that helps her grow?
Maybe! Poultry nutridrench may also help if you add it to their water regularly.

Back
Top Bottom