Should i be concerned about this

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ptjeff, Oct 12, 2016.

1. ptjeff

ptjeff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2013
    Picked these girls up tue. Found this when checking for pasty butt.[​IMG]

2. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    It does look like maybe a infection where the yolk sac was attached. Could you get a clearer pic close up?

3. ptjeff

Apr 23, 2013
    How about this one
    [​IMG]

4. ptjeff

Apr 23, 2013
    There's no drainage, it feels firm. She's eating, drinking and getting along. I'll just have to wait and see

5. ptjeff

Apr 23, 2013
    [​IMG]

6. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    If it was me I would apply some Neosporin to it a couple times a day and male sure the chick is acting normally.

7. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    I can't tell from the pics...is this area of concern separate from the cloaca/vent?

If it is not, you are dealing with a mild prolapse--clean up the tissue, apply prep H to shrink the tissue, then attempt to push the tissue back in using water-based lube (like K-Y) and a q-tip. If you're lucky, it will stay in. Needs to be done fairly quickly because the waste will start to back up into the bird. I had two chicks arrive with prolapses from shipping/cocci, was able to save one.

If you see a separate cloacal opening and this area is below it, I agree it could be the umbilicus...sometimes chicks with less than ideal incubator experiences can hatch without everything properly absorbed and the umbilical area can have a scab. Which can attract the attention of other chicks who peck at it. I'd clean it up (soap/water) and apply Blue kote as it is an antiseptic as well as an anti-pecking product.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by